Gmail users in Spain have had the possibility to activate Chats in the application, a process that we can follow in a few steps. This integration of the mail application with Google Chat also involves the introduction of some features, such as the new statuses already available in it.
In the Gmail side menu on Android we can see that we have a series of states, such as Away, Automatic or Do Not Disturb, which we can choose depending on what we want. What are these new states in the application and what are they for? This is possibly a question for many users, so we tell you more about it.
What are the new statuses in Gmail
We see these states only if we have activated Google Chat chats in the Gmail application for Android. It is a series of states that indicate if we are available in those chats, similar to those we had in the past in Messenger or are still in apps like Skype, for example.
The idea with these statuses is that we can indicate to the people who write us in these chats if we are connected and available or if they will have to wait a while until we respond to them. In the side menu of the application we find these states, with a total of three options. These are the following options:
- Automatic: this state is the closest thing we are to Connected. Having this status in Google Chat will show that we are connected, unless we spend more than two minutes inactive. If this is the case, it automatically goes to the absent state.
- Absent: we can put our status as absent, even though we are active at that time. The idea of this state is that others know that it may take a while to respond, because we are inactive or we cannot serve them at that time.
- Do not disturb: this status tells people who want to chat with you that you don’t want them to write to you at that moment, that you don’t want anyone to bother you. This option also allows you to set when you want to have this status (between 30 minutes and 8 hours).
These states shown only in Google Chat. That is, if someone sends you an email from their Gmail account, it will not show whether your status is Away or Do Not Disturb, for example. The statuses are used only in that tab of the chats, now integrated in the email application.
How to choose a state
Users who have Google Chat activated within Gmail on Android They can choose one of these states at any time, so that other people in the chats can see it. If you use this chat feature in the app, you may find it useful to have an active status, so that others will be able to see if it is a good time to write you a message. If you want to choose a state, the steps to follow are:
- Open Gmail on your Android phone.
- Click on the three horizontal stripes on the left side.
- Go to the section where the states are.
- Choose the state you want to use.
- If you choose do not disturb, select how long you want this state to be active.