British police announced that will not take any action against Prince Andrew following a review requested by an accuser of Jeffrey Epstein who claims he sexually assaulted her.
Virginia Giuffre claims that she was trafficked by Epstein to have sex with Andrés in London in 2001, when she was 17 years old and a minor under US law. She is suing the prince in a United States court.
Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, denies the accusations. He told the BBC in a 2019 interview that he never had sex with Giuffre, saying: “It didn’t happen.”
In August, the London Metropolitan Police began a review of allegations relating to the late convicted sex offender Epstein. Police Chief Cressida Dick said at the time that “no one is above the law.”
“As a matter of procedure, Metropolitan Police officers examined a document released in August 2021 as part of a civil action by the United States,” Scotland Yard said in a statement late Sunday. “This review has concluded and we will not take any further action”He added, specifying that he will continue to collaborate with other agencies in the framework of the investigation.
It also said it would take no action on allegations, first reported by Channel 4 News, that Epstein’s alleged accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell, trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK.
Maxwell, a British socialite, is in a United States jail awaiting trial on charges that she recruited teenagers to be abused by Epstein.
The force said it continues to be in contact with other law enforcement agencies leading the investigation into issues associated with Epstein.
After weeks of legal skirmishes, Andrés’ lawyers acknowledged late last month that the document had been formally served with Giuffre’s lawsuit. The prince must submit responses to the claims before October 29.
Andres, 61, has been banished from royal public duties amid scandal over his friendship with convicted pedophile Epstein, who committed suicide in a federal detention center in New York in August 2019 while awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking.
Last Thursday the Duke of York obtained access to a confidential document that, according to his lawyers, could put an end to the case of alleged sexual abuse of which he has been accused.
According to Forbes magazine, Prince Andrew’s legal team has received permission to agree to a sealed agreement between Giuffre and the late friend of Queen Elizabeth’s son, financier Jeffrey Epstein.
The prince’s lawyers believe, according to Forbes, that those documents could provide Andrew with immunity in that lawsuit.
New York Judge Loretta Preska, who is in charge of the case, has agreed to allow Andrés de England’s legal team to receive a copy of that agreement, with the consent of Epstein’s heirs.
Giuffre’s attorney, David Boies, agreed that Elizabeth II’s son has the right to review those sealed documents, although considers it to be “irrelevant” to the ongoing lawsuit.
The agreement, reached in the state of Florida between Epstein and Giuffre in 2009, ended one of dozens of civil lawsuits filed against the tycoon by women who allege he sexually abused them when they were minors and that were resolved in private. with economic agreements that have not been publicly disclosed.
(with information from AP and EFE)