Thomas Müller from FC Bayern talks about a comeback in the DFB team

Thomas Müller seems open to a return to the German national soccer team. “As I said, none of us resigned,” said the 2014 world champion after his FC Bayern 1-1 draw against Werder Bremen on Saturday on Sky. But he was “not of the opinion that we should discuss players”. After the 6-0 defeat of the DFB selection last Tuesday in Spain “we should discuss other things”. His “main focus” is also “on the club”.

Like his Munich team-mate Jérôme Boateng and Dortmund’s Mats Hummels, Müller was sorted out by national coach Joachim Löw in March 2019. The 60-year-old justifies the decision with the change in personnel, so far he has not deviated from his course. The return of at least parts of the trio was repeatedly called for from different sides – not least after the Spain game by several experts.

Müller said on Saturday: “Of course you suffer with your teammates in the club and your former national team colleagues as well as the spectators.” The fans “longed for things to go well again,” said the 31-year-old. “At the moment there is a lot of negativity around the topic, it really hurts.” In the Nations League in Seville, the national team lost as much on Tuesday as it has not since 1931.

The national team’s crisis allegedly does not burden the work at Bayern Munich. “The boys are professionals enough,” said sports director Hasan Salihamidzic on Saturday in the Sky interview before the game with a view of the Munich national team. The training was good and there were talks with the returning players. “I’m not worried that it won’t continue the way it ended in Dortmund,” emphasized Salihamidzic. The national team should analyze what happened in Seville. “We do our work here exactly as we did it before.”

Salihamidzic did not confirm reports about the supposedly imminent departure of Jérôme Boateng from Bayern next summer. “We all know that Jérôme has an ongoing contract until June 30, 2021,” said Salihamidzic. “We will meet with him and his management at a reasonable time and make a fair decision for everyone.” The former national player’s contract was “not at all our topic at the moment”.

Boateng (32) himself had said that he was “surprised” by the customer that his contract should not be extended beyond the summer of 2021. Coach Hansi Flick had expressed his great appreciation for the central defender on Friday. “He’s a player who has shown outstanding performance, he’s won the triple for the second time. Little need to be said about its qualities, ”he said. “Jérôme certainly knows how I see the whole thing and how I feel about it.”

FC Bayern meanwhile have to fear defender Lucas Hernández’s failure. The world champion hit the ground after a duel in a 1-1 draw against Bremen and was replaced after 19 minutes. He had problems with his hip and will be examined on Sunday, said coach Flick. “We have to wait and see.” For Hernández, who signed for 80 million euros last year, a long absence would be particularly bitter, as he is now a regular at the Munich team as a left-back after a difficult first season.

Alphonso Davies is missing as another left-back injured. Flick hopes that in Wednesday’s Champions League game against RB Salzburg midfielder Corentin Tolisso and right-back Bouna Sarr can return after their muscular problems. “We’ll have to wait and see,” said Flick.

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.