Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, right guard from the Kansas City Chiefs, was the first player to announce that he would not be playing next season due to the risks of the ongoing corona pandemic. He makes use of the opt-out option that was negotiated by the player’s union.
Since Duvernay-Tardif was announced, seven other players have also decided not to play football in the coming season. It can be assumed that until August 1st, when the players have to decide whether they want to take advantage of the opt-out option, the list will become even longer.
Players who voluntarily forego the season will receive an annual salary of $ 150,000 thanks to this scheme. Players belonging to the risk group even get $ 350,000. The following players have already opted for this option:
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Kansas City Chiefs, G
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, has a medical degree and would rather look after patients during the coming season.
- De’Anthony Thomas, Baltimore Ravens, WR
Thomas does not belong to the risk group and had signed a new contract with the Ravens in the spring.
- Chance Warmack, Seattle Seahawks, G
Warmack won the Super Bowl in 2018, but paused last year due to injury. There was probably a death in his family due to Covid-19, which probably led him to decide.
- Maurice Canady, Dallas Cowboys, CB
With the tweet “Family first money second” Canady announced that he will not play the upcoming season.
- Caleb Brantley, Washington Football Team, DL
Brantley has missed almost the entire last season and will not be on the field in the coming season.
- Najee Toran, New England Patriots, C/G
Toran was the last season in the Patriots Practice Squad and is also opting out.
- Danny Vitale, New England Patriots, FB
Vitale’s resignation came as a surprise. He gives his competitor and German teammate Jakob Johnson good chances of starting fullback.
- Marcus Cannon, New England Patriots, OT
As a former cancer patient, Cannon belongs to the risk group and therefore voluntarily foregoes this season.
- Dont’a Hightower, New England Patriots, LB
- Brandon Bolden, New England, Patriots, RB
- Andre Smith, Baltimore Ravens, OL
- Stephen Guidry, Dallas Cowboys, WR
- Eddie Vanderdoes, Houston Texans, DT
- Kyle Peko, Denver Broncos, DT
- Eddie Goldman, Chicago Bears, DT
- Anthony McKinney, Tenessee Titans, OL
- Cole Wick, New Orleans Saints, TE
- Jason Vander Laan, New Orleans Saints, TE
- Patrick Chung, New England Patriots, S
- Star Lotulelei, Buffalo Bills, DT
- Michael Pierce, Minnesota Vikings, DT
- Marquise Goodwin, Philadelphia Eagles, WR
- Leo Koloamatangi, New York Jets, OL
- Jordan Mack, Carolina Panthers, LB
- Devin Funchess, Greenbay Packers, WR
Foto: imago images / Icon SMI