A police officer looks for victims in Abaco. / Marco Bello (Reuters)
A police officer looks for victims in Abaco. /
Marco Bello (Reuters)

The north of the archipelago remains in chaos and the emergency phase is not over yet

Some 2,500 people remain missing in the Bahamas more than a week after the devastating passage of Hurricane Dorian, which killed at least 50 people, archipelago emergency services said Tuesday. "At this time, some 2,500 people are registered in the government registry of missing persons," said Carl Smith, representative of the Bahamas Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), stating that the list had not yet been compared to government records. of people in shelters or evacuated.

At least 50 people died from the category 5 hurricane that hit the Bahamas on September 1 and 2 and authorities have said they expect the number to increase significantly.

The north of the archipelago remains in chaos and the emergency phase is not over yet. The priority is to evacuate the victims of the most devastated islands.

The NEMA spokesman said more than 5,000 people had already been evacuated from the Grand Bahama and Abaco Islands, which were devastated by Dorian. However, he explained that during the last day there was a "significant reduction" in the number of people looking to leave. Smith said the resumption of commercial flights to the island of Abaco was authorized on a "limited" basis, but that priority would be given to relief and evacuation flights.

. (tagsToTranslate) 2500 (t) missing (t) bahamas (t) after (t) step (t) dorian

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.