A church in Milwaukee has raised the temperature threshold of its warming center in winter, while another has raised the December threshold, officials said Monday.
The Ephesians Missionary Baptist Church, located at 2412 N. 6 Street, will open its warm-up center when temperatures drop below 32 degrees for people aged 18 and over from 7 pm. at 7 am seven days a week.
In December, St. Benedict the Moor, 924 W. State St., will accept walk-in clients ages 18 and older from 8 pm. at 8 am seven days a week when the temperature drops below 32 degrees.
After December, the threshold will drop to 20 degrees or less, officials said.
According to the Milwaukee continuum of care, other night warming centers include:
- Divine Intervention (Ministry of Homelessness) – Tippecanoe Church, 125 W. Saveland Avenue, Milwaukee. Serves singles 18 years and over and is open every day from December 1 to March 31 from 18h. at 8:00 am No temperature threshold. Call 211 to enter.
- Repairers of the breach, 1335 Vliet Street, Milwaukee. Serves single adults 18 years and older. Open Monday to Saturday from 7am to 4pm as a day shelter, reopen for a night shelter at 8pm. when the temperature is 20 degrees or less. Guests must arrive no later than 22 hours. Walk-ins welcome.
- Milwaukee Guest House 1216 N. 13th St., Milwaukee. Serves single men 18 years and older, with added capacity added in winter. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with no temperature threshold. Call 211 to enter.
- Great Church of the New Birth, 8237 W. Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee. Serves families and singles every day from 19h. at 7 o'clock in the morning when the temperature is less than or equal to 15 degrees. Walk-ins welcome. Guests must arrive no later than 22 hours.
Daytime warming centers include:
- Homeless MacCanon Brown Sanctuary – Hephatha Lutheran Church, 1720 W. Locust Street, Milwaukee. The entrance is at 18 & Locust. Open every Friday from 11:30 to 15h.
- Salvation Army (three places) 1645 N. 25th St., Milwaukee, open Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm; 4129 W. Villard Ave., Milwaukee, open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm; 2900 W. Coldspring Road, Greenfield, open from 9:30 am to 3 pm Monday to Thursday and 9:30 am to 12:30 pm Friday. Dial 2-1-1 to enter or introduce yourself.
At a press conference Monday, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett urged people to direct anyone of their acquaintance to centers who need a warm place by calling 211.
He also reminded people that all public libraries in Milwaukee had the opportunity to stay in a warm place in winter.
Locations of the library:
Central Library, 814 West Wisconsin Avenue
Atkinson Library, 1960 West Atkinson Avenue
Center Street Library, 2727 West Avenue Fond du Lac
East Library, 2320 North Cramer street
Mitchell Street Library, 906 West Mitchell Street Historic
Villard Square Library, 5190 North 35th Street
Library Bay View, 2566 South Kinnickinnic Avenue
Martin Luther King Library, 310 West Locust Street
Washington Park Library, 2121 North Sherman Blvd.
Capitol Library, 3969 North 74th Street
Mill Road Library, 6431 North 76th Street
Tippecanoe Library, 3912 S. Howell Avenue
Zablocki Library, 3501 W. Oklahoma Avenue
Library hours vary by location and day. Individuals are encouraged to visit http://www.mpl.org or call (414) 286-3000 for more information.
Read or share this story: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2019/12/02/temperature-threshold-lower-lower-one-after-december/2590046001/