Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Home News The family pays homage to a grandmother killed by a bushfire

The family pays homage to a grandmother killed by a bushfire

Ms. Chaplain was found unconscious Saturday morning, with burns on 40 to 50% of her body and taken to the hospital where she died.

Earlier, Ms. Harwood had told ABC that Ms. Chaplain would be "very missed" by her two children and six grandchildren.

"It was a strong woman who died protecting the home and animals that she loved," said Ms. Harwood. "Her loss devastated our family, we could not do anything, she was stuck and we could not reach her."

A second victim, also from the Glen Innes area, has not yet been officially identified. Police said that the body was found in a car burned Saturday morning, but that his sex was uncertain.

A third death occurred in Johns River Township, north of Taree. A NSW police statement said the body was found in a burning building on Saturday afternoon.


"The burned house belongs to a woman aged 63. However, a post mortem examination will be needed to confirm the identity and cause of death," the statement said.

Several people across the state were missing Saturday night. NSW police said the number fluctuated between five and nine a day during the day.

A spokesman for the rural fire department said the fires, which covered much of northern state, had destroyed 150 homes to date.

Glen Innes Severn Mayor Carol Sparks said her community was in shock.


"Everyone is just pissed off and anxious," said Cr Sparks. "We lost friends and houses and our community, it's terrible and it's happening all over the country.

"And yes, it's climate change, that's it, that's what the warnings were, and, you know, it's got a lot of attention and attention."

Cr Sparks said the fires were different from the ones she'd known before, as the lingering drought meant that "the trees are so dry that they just get burnt and explode" and that firefighters had virtually no water to use.

"We have these swirling winds that are just scooping up and pushing fire in all directions," she said. "Because of the winds, we can not get the helicopters to empty the water, so the communities are left to fend for themselves."


Meanwhile, thousands of residents sleep on the floor in evacuation centers. Janet Cohen, 66, and her partner, Glenn Brewer, headed for another night at the Laurieton United Services Club after the winds changed and the fires intensified. "At least we have a place to go where we feel safe," she said.

In Old Bar, south of Taree, locals were grateful when firefighters were able to keep the fire out of the village.

Stephen Doessel, owner of the award-winning Boogie Woogie Beach House at Old Bar, said it was "awesome" to see how the community had come together to help one another.

"Many children in the region are heavily affected," he said. "Children are constantly in tears, they do not understand. Even if the parents try to say to themselves, "It's okay, you're safe, you're safe," they do not use it because of all the helicopter activity. and obviously all the fire engines and the police ".

Robyn Streetfield, the owner of the Wallabi Point Bed and Breakfast who fired at the back of her house, praised the efforts of the "amazing" volunteer firefighters, many of whom had come from other parts of the country. ;State.

Most viewed in National



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

Renault renounces the non competition clause of Thierry Bolloré

The former general manager of the diamond group is free to work now at another car manufacturerBy Le Figaro with ReutersThierry Bolloré and Jean-Dominique...

University football screenings for the playoffs, New Year 6

Troy Wayrynen-USA TODAY HUI SportsAlabama and Penn State suffered their first loss of the season on Saturday, creating a significant gap in...

A cenotaph at the Old City Hall vandalized with graffiti during the night, a few hours after the Remembrance Day celebration

The historic cenotaph of Old Town Hall was vandalized with spray paint, several hours after the Remembrance Day ceremonies in downtown Toronto.The images posted...

Recent Comments