Jump to content
- We introduce you to the 6 groups of EURO 2020 in more detail.
- In the Group D takes England another attempt at an EM finally once in the final to advance.
- Fighting for entry into the knockout phase alongside the “Three Lions” Croatia, Scotland and Czech Republic.
The starting position: two clear favorites and two underdogs
The trumps in Group D are clearly with the English and the Croatians. The “Three Lions” are allowed to play their 3 games in Wembley Stadium and with players like Harry Kane, Jadon Sancho or Phil Foden they have outstanding player material. Croatia has repeatedly emerged as a tournament team in the past – most recently when it was runner-up in the world championship in 2018. Coach Zlatko Dalic’s team can also be expected in 2021.
Scotland, which competes twice in Glasgow, is back in a major tournament for the first time since the 1998 World Cup and is also an outsider in Group D, like the Czech Republic. A third place with a good result of points is very desirable this year, as the 4 best thirds in the group also make it to the round of 16.
In focus: a revenge that isn’t
England has with Croatia still a unpaid bill. In the 2018 World Cup semi-finals, the “Three Lions” lost 2-1 to the Croatians in extra time and missed their first World Cup final since winning the title in 1966. The group game between the two teams on June 13th cannot be a revenge to be designated – groundbreaking the game could still be.
To 10 missed finals in a row (European Championship and World Cup) are not only open to the eyes of your own fans Scotland directed. Should the Scots qualify for the round of 16, they would hardly be averse to a penalty shoot-out. In the barrage, they beat Israel and Serbia twice in a penalty crime thriller.
Group D games
|13.06.2021, 3 p.m.||England – Croatia||London|
|14.06.2021, 3 p.m.||Scotland – Czech Republic||Glasgow|
|June 18, 2021, 6 p.m.||Croatia – Czech Republic||Glasgow|
|June 18, 2021, 9 p.m.||England – Scotland||London|
|22.06.2021, 9 p.m.||Croatia – Scotland||Glasgow|
|22.06.2021, 9 p.m.||Czech Republic – England||London|
- Gareth Southgate (ENG / since 2016): Made England an absolute top team again. The advance into the 2018 World Cup semi-final testifies to this.
- Zlatko Dalic (CRO / since 2017): Leading Croatia into the World Cup final in its first year, which was lost to France. The 54-year-old and his team even trumped the successes of the legendary Miroslav Blazevic (including the 1996 European Championship quarter-finals and third place at the 1998 World Cup).
- Steve Clarke (SCO / since 2019): The former defender did a real miracle and brought Scotland back to the finals of a major tournament for the first time since the 1998 World Cup.
- Jaroslav Silhavy (CZE / since 2018): No one else has played so many games in the top Czech and before that in the top Czechoslovak league (465 in 20 years). Despite a 0: 5 at the start of the campaign in England, the European Championship qualification succeeded under him.
This is how it continues after the group stage
The winner will face the runner-up in Group F in the round of 16. The runner-up plays against the runner-up from group E. The team on rank 3 qualifies for the knockout phase if it is among the 4 best thirds in the group.
Road to Uefa Euro 2021, June 3rd, 2021, 8:40 pm; rack/Agency
Most read articles