Which console (s) will be under the Christmas tree this year? PS5? Xbox Series X? Or is it a Nintendo Switch? – (C) Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo – Background image source: Pixabay.com
Sony PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X will see console hardware sales skyrocket in late 2020. But – at least on the US market – it will Nintendo Switch have the edge when it comes to assessments by the NPD Group.
Mat Piscatella from the NPD Group has put this thesis online. For example, spending on video games for “Holiday 2020” is set to shoot up to 13.4 billion US dollars, a new US record. PS5 and Xbox Series X will do their part, but due to the lack of availability, the Nintendo console will bring in more sales. This would mean that the Switch would continue its strong sales – also overseas – in 2020. The hybrid console has now been purchased over 65 million times worldwide since 2017.
PS5 and Xbox Series X: Strong demand, but no availability
When the industry analyst Piscatella If right, then the US market will grow 24 percent year over year. This increases the annual spending on video games in the USA to 50 billion US dollars, which would represent a new “record high for the US market”. Of course there are also some “market uncertainties”, such as the availability of the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft.
The following statements summarize Piscatella together:
- “The console sales of the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be some of the hottest Christmas presents.”
- „Nintendo Switch will be the best-selling console for Christmas 2020 be.”
- “Spending on gamepads and headsets will set new records.”
- “There will be no hard price cuts on PS4 and Xbox One”. The reason is simple: due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, there are around 30 million more “gamers” (including smartphones), so still in 2018. The stocks of old consoles have been used up.
- “Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War will be the best-selling video game of 2020” (at least in the US).
- The expenses for subscription services such as Xbox Game Pass, EA Play and Co. will increase.
- Memory expansion for the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be very popular. After all, both consoles do not hold many games on their SSD hard drives.
Only for the VR (Virtual Reality) market Mat Piscatella no great opportunities. The niche gaming market is still establishing itself more and more, albeit at a low level.
More about PlayStation, Nintendo & Xbox
The Nintendo Switch broke a sales record in the United States, overtaking the Xbox 360.