Even before US President Donald Trump has to resign on January 20, his administration is trying to instigate a “color revolution” in Cuba. After the State Department there rejected Washington’s support for an opposition group calling itself the “San Isidro Movement” as “interference in the island’s internal affairs”, a State Department spokesman said on Wednesday that the US diplomats in Havana would be theirs “Maintain usual contacts”. Opposite the state US propaganda station Radio and TV Martí the spokesman even described the promotion of opposition activists in Cuba as “imperative.”
Washington is thereby intensifying the conflict with Havana. At the end of last week, the State Department director for US affairs, Carlos Fernández de Cossio, summoned the US Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Timothy Zúñiga-Brown. De Cossio accused the US diplomat of violating the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, as he had repeatedly visited the system opponents and chauffeured some activists around in his official vehicle.
The group, named after the bohemian district of San Isidro in Havana’s old town, caught the media’s attention after a hunger strike for the release of its comrade-in-arms Denis Solís. Solís, who came out as a supporter of Trump, whom he calls “his President”, was sentenced to eight months in prison after he refused to testify about contacts with terrorists in the USA and a police officer who then brought him a summons for questioning , attacked with homophobic and obscene insults. Meanwhile, Solís admitted in a televised statement that he had received payments from Jorge Luis Fernández Figueras, a Florida-based terrorist who committed arson and other acts of sabotage in Cuba in 2017. Fernández Figueras also tried to influence the actions of the “San Isidro activists”, he said.
The information triggered an alarm among the authorities. The daily newspaper Granma reported on Tuesday about “an escalation of sabotage and attacks” against facilities in Cuba since Trump took office. For example, incendiary devices with Molotov cocktails were most recently carried out in Havana in August and September 2020 on a cafeteria, a hairdressing salon and a bodega for the distribution of subsidized food. The US investigative authorities are aware of those who commissioned the terrorist actions, but they are not being held responsible for their criminal activities.
Released in response to revelations by several Cuban media outlets Radio and TV Martí on Wednesday an article on his website under the heading “The regime instigates a civil war among Cubans”. Among other things, the government in Havana is accused of “inciting lynching of those who have criteria other than the official line”. The US propaganda broadcaster also claimed that there was “unrest and popular rebellion” in Cuba.
Such a scenario corresponds to the script of the »Color Revolutions for a Regime Change« and the ambitions of the US government, but not to the reality in Cuba. In fact, several thousand, mostly young people had shown their support for the socialist system on Sunday at a large demonstration in the capital’s central Trillo Park. “We will not allow our enemies to interfere. We solve our problems among ourselves, ”President Miguel Díaz-Canel said at the rally. Sober sympathizers of the “San Isidro Group” are apparently ready to do so. After around 200 supporters, including some artists, marched in front of the Ministry of Culture in Havana on Friday, Deputy Minister Fernando Rojas received a delegation for a discussion lasting several hours, during which, among other things, a dialogue about their demands was agreed.