In Trier, a man raced through the pedestrian zone in an off-road vehicle. At least two people are dead, there are many injured.
FRANKFURT AM MAIN taz | In Trier, a 51-year-old German raced through the pedestrian zone in a heavy SUV on Tuesday afternoon. According to the police, he hit people “at random”. At least two people were killed. Trier’s Mayor Wolfram Leibe also reported at least fifteen people, some of them seriously injured.
Police officers were able to arrest the alleged gunman, a 51-year-old German from the region, in the immediate vicinity of the crime scene by ramming his vehicle. According to the Trier folk friend a task force happened to be on site. It is still unclear what drove the man to act. The driver has not yet commented.
The city center of Trier was cordoned off until evening. After the victims had been cared for and taken away, the police took over the security of evidence.
He experienced the scenes in the city center “like after a war,” said Mayor Leibe, who was there immediately after the rampage. According to him, there is a child among the dead. He saw a child’s shoe lying on the street; the girl with that is no longer alive, he said, struggling to maintain his composure. The Prime Minister of Rhineland-Palatinate, Malu Dreyer, has now confirmed that a small child is among the dead.
The day was a “really bad and terrible day for the relatives,” said Dreyer. In the middle of a normal day, people were torn from life. “It’s just very bad for all of us.” Let her thoughts go to the injured and seriously injured and hope and pray that they survived and recovered.
Video footage showed a picture of the devastation at the crime scene. Even hours after that, advertising stands and displays that had been driven over were scattered on the street. In the afternoon, numerous rescue vehicles were in action to rescue the dead and injured.
Because of the cold snap, fewer people were in the pedestrian zone at the time of the crime than usual in the run-up to Christmas. However, unlike in previous years, the pedestrian zone was not secured by concrete bollards because the Christmas market was canceled this year due to the corona crisis. Initially, nothing was known about the perpetrator’s motives. At a press conference that evening, the Rhineland-Palatinate Interior Minister Roger Lewenz (SPD) and the police wanted to report on the status of the investigation.
The police asked all eyewitnesses not to post videos and photos on social media. She announced that she would be setting up a portal where she could receive such documents. The officials also warned against speculation that made the rounds on the network immediately after the incident.