“Pazzi”, this robot who prepares pizzas all by himself in Paris

From preparation to service, in this new pizzeria nestled in the heart of the capital, the machines do all the work.

Robots are now real cooks. In the “Pazzi” restaurant which opens this Monday in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, a machine prepares, bakes and serves pizzas in total autonomy.

Over the orders, the device installed behind a large window makes its show without interruption. Three articulated arms move and prepare up to a pizza every 45 seconds. The automaton is alone, but can juggle making several pizzas at the same time. “The parallelization of the tasks makes it possible to produce up to 10, and to cook 6 of them both ”, proudly details Sébastien Roverso, co-founder of“ Pazzi ”who is also one of the creators of the machine. The software recreates a “artisanal“By placing the ingredients”randomly».

The robot also knows how to overcome a technical constraint: the foods used are organic materials. ” We have endowed the robot with artificial intelligence that allows it to adapt to organic elements such as dough. It identifies the specificities of the products and adapts to them. In the event of an error, such as a dough that is too heavy, it knows how to correct itself in the next test.», Explains Sébastien Roverso. Humans are never far away. Like many robots, this one is not foolproof. In 97% of cases, everything goes well. In the remaining 3%, if the machine derails, a team reboots the system remotely.

A pizza maker for € 500,000

The development of this robot took a lot of time from its two creators. Cyril Hamon and Sébastien Roverso had been studying the issue since the beginning of the 2010s. Their project culminated in 2019, with the opening of a first “Pazzi” restaurant in the Val d’Europe shopping center in Seine-et-Marne. They installed their robot there, the cost of which is € 500,000. ” We raised funds in 2019 for an amount of 10 million euros», Recalls the CEO of Pazzi, Philippe Goldman. Money that has made it possible to finance research and development. For example, ovens adapt to each pizza for cooking. A total of five patents have been filed.

The company thinks quickly of amortizing its investments. “This restaurant should be profitable within 3 years, assuming our turnover reaches 900,000 €“. An amount that they have “not yet”Reached in their first premises in Val d’Europe, penalized by the health situation and the long closure of shopping centers.

This time, Pazzi moved to a very lively neighborhood. If the success is with go, the concept could be reproduced in the rest of France and in the bordering countries.

In terms of recipes, the great chefs do not yet have too much to worry about. These were designed by Thierry Graggagnino, the three-time pizza world champion. The skills of robots in creation remain limited. Tests were carried out on Google’s AI, which had to create a sweet recipe from scratch. She ended up devising a dubious recipe, a Maltesers cake topped with Marmite, a spread made from yeast extract. Enjoy your meal.

.

Auto company Hyundai buys robot manufacturer Boston Dynamics

Robots will take on significantly more tasks in the future – also in cars. The Korean car manufacturer Hyundai is now taking over the well-known robot manufacturer Boston Dynamics.

Boston Dynamics, known for its running robots, is now owned by the South Korean car maker Hyundai . Hyundai announced on Monday that it wanted to build a “robotics value chain” that would range from the production of robot parts to intelligent logistics solutions.

The value of Boston Dynamics amounts to 1.1 billion dollars after the transaction (about 925 million. Euro), it said. Hyundai took over 80 percent of the shares and the previous owner, the Japanese technology group Softbank SoftBanK Group Share, keep the remaining 20 percent through a daughter.

Demo videos with robots from Boston Dynamics have been causing a stir for years – also because they show the progress of technology. At first, the robots, which were based on human movements, often found it difficult to keep their balance. In the meantime, they have also mastered complex sequences of movements and can run, jump, use stairs, carry boxes and stand up independently if they are knocked over.

Robot company went through several hands

Boston Dynamics is now selling the “Spot” robot, which moves like a dog, as the first commercial product for security services, for example. The New York police also got one of the “spot” robots for their missions – but after criticism they quickly dismissed it.

Boston Dynamics has seen several changes of ownership in the past few years. First the company was owned by Google Alphab share accepted. But the Internet company, which was increasingly targeted by competition watchdogs and critics of the technology industry, scaled back its robotics plans.

Softbank bought Google Boston Dynamics in 2017 – and at that time also had plans to rely more on robots. In the meantime, however, the Japanese group is tightening its portfolio, among other things after the multi-billion dollar bad investment in the office space provider WeWork.

Hyundai – together with its sister brand Kia – is currently looking to transform itself into a provider of “smart mobility solutions”. This included investments in future technologies, including self-driving cars, artificial intelligence, aircraft for urban mobility and robots.

.

Hyundai completes acquisition of Boston Dynamics

The Hyundai Motor Group has completed the acquisition of the US robotics company Boston Dynamics by acquiring a majority stake. As Hyundai Motor Group, the previous majority owner SoftBank and Boston Dynamics jointly announced on Monday, Hyundai Motor Group holds 80 percent of the company. The remaining 20 percent will remain with SoftBank through various of its subsidiaries.

According to the companies involved, Boston Dynamics was valued at $ 1.1 billion. Hyundai Motor Group, SoftBank and Boston Dynamics did not provide any further details on the deal, which has already been approved by the authorities.

In December 2020, Hyundai Motor Group announced that it would take over 80 percent of the shares in the robotics company from SoftBank in order to give the well-known robots Spot, Atlas and Cheetah a new home. First and foremost, however, it is about driving the strategic transformation of the group into a Smart Mobility Solution Provider. To this end, Hyundai has already invested in other future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence (AI), urban air mobility (UAM), smart factories and, with the takeover of Boston Dynamics, now also in robotics.

Hyundai Motor Group is committed to developing advanced techniques to improve people’s lives and advance humanity. Boston Dynamics is specifically intended to create a robotics value chain: from the robot component to intelligent logistics solutions, according to the Hyundai Motor Group. The group wants to help expand the existing Boston Dynamics product line and advance global sales and service.

Atlas, Spot and Handle put a neat sole on the parquet.

So far, the commercial exploitation of Boston Dynamics developments has been rather sparse. It wasn’t until June 2020 that Boston Dynamics started selling its robot dog Spot. Spot has also been available in Europe since September. There are also the storage robots Handle and Stretch, which can be used in logistics companies around the world.

Before that, Boston Dynamics seemed to be mostly an investment with a bet on the future. First, Google bought the company in 2013 and then sold it to SoftBank in 2017. Now, four years later, the US company has a South Korean owner.


(olb)

To home page

.

Hyundai completes acquisition of Boston Dynamics

The Hyundai Motor Group has completed the acquisition of the US robotics company Boston Dynamics by acquiring a majority stake. As Hyundai Motor Group, the previous majority owner SoftBank and Boston Dynamics jointly announced on Monday, Hyundai Motor Group holds 80 percent of the company. The remaining 20 percent will remain with SoftBank through various of its subsidiaries.

According to the companies involved, Boston Dynamics was valued at $ 1.1 billion. Hyundai Motor Group, SoftBank and Boston Dynamics did not provide any further details on the deal, which has already been approved by the authorities.

In December 2020, Hyundai Motor Group announced that it would take over 80 percent of the shares in the robotics company from SoftBank in order to give the well-known robots Spot, Atlas and Cheetah a new home. First and foremost, it is about driving the strategic transformation of the group into a Smart Mobility Solution Provider. To this end, Hyundai has already invested in other future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence (AI), urban air mobility (UAM), smart factories and, with the takeover of Boston Dynamics, now also in robotics.

Hyundai Motor Group is committed to developing advanced techniques to improve people’s lives and advance humanity. Boston Dynamics is specifically intended to create a robotics value chain: from the robot component to intelligent logistics solutions, according to the Hyundai Motor Group. The group wants to help expand the existing Boston Dynamics product line and advance global sales and service.

Atlas, Spot and Handle put a neat sole on the parquet.

So far, the commercial exploitation of Boston Dynamics developments has been rather sparse. It wasn’t until June 2020 that Boston Dynamics started selling its robot dog Spot. Spot has also been available in Europe since September. There are also the storage robots Handle and Stretch, which can be used in logistics companies around the world.

Before that, Boston Dynamics seemed to be mostly an investment with a bet on the future. First, Google bought the company in 2013 and then sold it to SoftBank in 2017. Now, four years later, the US company has a South Korean owner.


(olb)

To home page

.

Seniors prefer the company of humanoid robots – Technologies

Seniors prefer robots: this was demonstrated by the experiment in which the humanoid robot Nadine entertained a group of elderly people in a retirement home by playing Bingo with them. Created by the Nayang University of Technology in Singapore, where the robot was developed, the experiment is presented on arXiv, the site that welcomes articles awaiting scrutiny from the scientific community, and has shown how machines can be an important tool for the care of the elderly, as well as a leisure companion.

“Ever more advanced humanoid robots, as in this case, are proving to be an excellent solution to integrate the current assistance, support and monitoring services for the elderly or people with motor or cognitive deficits”, Filippo Cavallo, dell ‘Institute of Biorobotics of the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna and of the University of Florence.

The protagonist for a few days of the Bright Hill Evergreen Nursing Home in Singapore was Nadine, the robot with female features already protagonist of many other similar experiments and as a receptionist. In this case, the android is committed to entertaining the 29 over 60 residents of the retirement home by playing Bingo with them.


Robot Nadine entertaining retirement home guests (source: Mishra et al.)

The robot took care of calling the numbers and solving any requests from the participants. All sessions were filmed to monitor the facial expressions and gestures of the participants to assess the level of attention and all the parameters useful to define the involvement. The data were compared with the reactions recorded when humans were driving the activities: it was found that the elderly preferred the robot Nadine. “It is a new confirmation – specified Cavallo – of the great progress made not only in the imitation of human abilities, such as language or voice, but also in all aspects related to non-verbal communication”.

According to Cavallo, however, the function of this type of humanoid robot is not only for entertainment: they are very powerful tools capable of monitoring the conditions of the people they interact with and measuring changes over time, for example for degenerative diseases and being actively used to follow up on therapy patients. “They are not toys, but powerful healing tools. However, it is essential – he concludes – that they are not used to make up for lack of personnel or social contacts ”.

REPRODUCTION RESERVED © Copyright ANSA