Remix of “Organized band”: the style of the bad girls of Marseille

This article is from L, the feminism and sexualities newsletter Release whose last issue has just been released . To receive L, register here !

It is the success of this summer. The title Organized band, which brings together Jul, SCH, Soso Maness and five other Marseille rappers, has broken all records. But one thing is obvious: no rapper has been invited to be part of the band. The only exception is Keny Arkana, who took part in the album 13’Organized, containing the title hit. At the beginning of November, eight rappers from Marseille (Saaphyra, Veemie, Tehila Ora, Lil So, Ladyland, Léna Morgan, Mina West and Mely) therefore decided to take the opposite of this testosterone sound by creating a 100% female remix. They remind those who seem to have forgotten that “Marseille we find madams”. And more, talented rappers. A way of denouncing a common ground between the masculine self and the machismo of this environment. “It’s simple: we, the Marseille rappers, we are downright transparent”, lamented Tehila Ora in 20 minutes. Lil So abounded: “It’s hard to break through when you’re a girl in a male environment…” Rather than compete with each other, these eight women bet on the sorority. A winning bet since their version of Organized Band was listened to no less than 562,000 times on YouTube in three weeks. While messages of support have poured in to salute this initiative which “Gives energy and hope” and encourages some to look at the flow of rappers, sexist messages are never far away. “Shame of Marseille”, “under the brand of rap”… Ladyland even confides in 20 Minutes having received “Messages that [lui] said that the place of women is in the kitchen ”. She adds : “When I was in the world of jazz or soul, I had never experienced that.” The proof that this remix has fulfilled its role of visibility and that it allows to convey another message.

Marlene Thomas

.

With Biden, some prisoners could get out of Guantanamo

The oldest prisoner at Guantánamo went to his last hearing before the review board with some degree of hope, something that has been rare during his 16 years held without charge at the US base in Cuba.

Saifullah Paracha, a 73-year-old Pakistani with diabetes and a heart condition, had two things going for him that he did not have in previous hearings: a favorable legal process and the electoral victory of Joe Biden.

President Donald Trump had effectively ended the Barack Obama administration’s practice of reviewing the cases of Guantanamo detainees and releasing them if incarceration was no longer deemed necessary. Now there is hope that it will resume with Biden.

“I am more hopeful now simply because we have a new administration that is not determined to ignore the existing review process,” Paracha’s attorney, Shelby Sullivan-Bennis, said after the hearing by phone from the base on Nov. 19. “I think the mere existence of that on the horizon is already hope for all of us,” he added.

Guantanamo was once a source of global outrage and a symbol of America’s excess in response to terrorism. It practically disappeared from the headlines after Obama failed to shut it down and 40 men remain in detention there.

Those seeking its closure now see a window of opportunity, hoping that Biden will find a way to prosecute those who can be prosecuted and free the rest, for the United States to ditch a detention facility that costs more than 445 million dollars a year.

Biden’s precise intentions for Guantanamo remain unclear. Transition spokesman Ned Price said the president-elect supports its closure, but it would be inappropriate to discuss his plans in detail before taking office.

“I think it’s more likely to shut down if it doesn’t become a big press issue,” said Andrea Prasow, deputy director in Washington for Human Rights Watch.

The detention center opened in 2002. The administration of President George W. Bush transformed what had been a Navy outpost in the extreme southeast of Cuba into a place to interrogate and imprison people suspected of having ties to Al Qaeda. and the Taliban after the attacks of September 11, 2001.

US authorities maintain that the men can be detained under the “law of war” for the duration of hostilities, an open-dated prospect.

At its peak in 2003, the year Paracha was captured in Thailand due to alleged links to al Qaeda, Guantanamo held some 700 prisoners from nearly 50 countries. Bush announced his intention to close it, although 242 still remained there when his presidency ended.

The Obama administration, seeking to allay concerns that some of those released had returned to the fight, established a process to ensure that returnees or resettled in third countries no longer posed a threat. He also plans to try some of the men in federal court.

But its closure effort was thwarted when Congress banned the transfer of Guantanamo prisoners to the United States, either for prosecution or medical care. Obama ended up freeing 197 prisoners, leaving 41 for Trump.

In his 2016 campaign, Trump promised to “load” Guantanamo with “some bad guys,” but largely ignored the issue after rescinating Obama’s policies. His administration approved only one release, a Saudi who pleaded guilty to a military commission.

Of the remainder, seven men have cases pending before a military commission. Among them are five men accused of planning and supporting the 9/11 attacks. In addition, there are two prisoners who were convicted by commission and three face possible prosecution for the 2002 Bali bombing.

Over the years, nine inmates have died at Guantanamo: seven from apparent suicide, one from cancer, and one from a heart attack.

Paracha’s attorney raised her health concerns, including a heart attack in 2006, at her review board, speaking via secure teleconference with US defense and security agencies.

We recommend you:

prisone

.

In bookstores, the hope of “finding contact with customers as quickly as possible”

“It’s going to be intense” : mix of excitement and stress this Wednesday, at The very small bookstore, in the XXe arrondissement of Paris, three days before the reopening announced the day before by Emmanuel Macron. “People want to come back and they let us know. We must hurry “, anticipates Hervé Beligné, one of the co-managers of this brand, located in the Porte de Bagnolet district, which will celebrate his two years in December. Shops will have to respect a strict health protocol, which should be detailed Thursday by Jean Castex. “We are much less worried than in the first confinement, because we were able to maintain an activity” thanks to the sale of books to take away, details the bookseller, who nevertheless concedes “A big shortfall” over the period of November, which is very important during the year, in particular because of the literary prices.

The famous “click and collect” – which allows you to reserve a book online and collect it on site – has nevertheless enabled the bookstore to stabilize compared to 2019. Small downside to this digital option: “We sold almost exclusively adult literature and comics. For young people, it was a collapse, surely because people could no longer come and search the bookstore ”, assures the one who thanks Riad Sattouf and his volume 5 of theArab of the future, real star of containment. The store has even considered aligning itself with the standards of essential businesses, by starting to sell bread, in recent weeks, in partnership with a baker from Ménilmontant. “In the end, we didn’t use it to open. But I think we will make the project sustainable ”, Hervé smiles, convinced by the initiative.

Naza Mokhtary in the Emile youth bookstore, rue Emile Zola in Paris. Photo Marie Rouge for Liberation

In the west of the capital, rue Emile Zola (XVearrondissement), Naza Mokhtary, who has been running the Emile youth bookstore for 15 years, points to another limit for “click and collect”: an increase in the workload. Between calls, emails, orders, shipments, “Each sale takes four times longer”, she estimates, installed in the back of the shop in the middle of shelves filled with books for children. The bookseller does not want to transform “In a warehouse that scans references”, but hope “Regain contact with customers as quickly as possible”, The most beautiful “Facet of the profession” according to her.

Reconfinement, she got it first “Lived as a betrayal”, with the controversy surrounding Fnac, all of whose departments had initially remained open. Forced to put his team in partial activity, maintaining activity allowed him to stay in the nails, with “A little less than 50%” of annual turnover so far.

Paris, November 25, 2020. Report at the Emile bookstore.

In front of the Emile youth bookstore in the XVe arrondissement. Photo Marie Rouge for Liberation

“Happy” of the reopening, Naza Mokhtary remains nonetheless suspicious, without a definitive health protocol. Certainly, she and her staff are better prepared than during the first confinement. This time, no need to chase masks, and the store has 15 liters of gels in stock. But two points make it tilt. The welcome gauge, first, announced at 8m2 per customer. “It’s too much” for its 44m store2. “The majority of my clients are parents with children, in strollers. I’m not going to tell them to leave them outside ”, fear the one who does not want to endorse “The role of the baton cop”.

Another problem raised: the recent assumption by the government of the costs of sending books. A system that allows booksellers to charge their customers only for postage, at the minimum legal rate, ie 0.01 euros. “It’s a windfall effect that we dislike”, assures Naza. The one who would rather “The cost of sending is real” ensures that the majority of booksellers “Would not like to send more books, but rather see people push the door, and advise them”.

Paris, November 25, 2020. Report at the Ici bookstore.  Portrait of Anne-Laure Vial.

Anne-Laure Vial, co-manager of the Ici bookstore, in the Grands Boulevards district. Photo Marie Rouge for Liberation

Going through the two floors of her immense Ici bookstore – the largest independent bookstore in the capital – nestled in the Grands Boulevards district, Anne-Laure Vial, co-manager, says nothing else. At Ici, the “click and collect” generated 50% of the usual revenue in November, with an average of 200 daily orders. Anne-Laure points to a dedicated shelf, as well as a multitude of orders waiting in front of the entrance. If the top floor is already presentable, this is less the case at the bottom, where piles of cardboard boxes are piled up near the shelves.

Behind the scenes, its ten employees are active. Everything should be ready for the reopening to the public on November 28. «All month ping-pong on the shelves, it was a bit violent. Even though people were very happy to be offered an alternative to Amazon ”, abounds Anne-Laure Vial. With customer feedback, however, it is a “Beautiful pressure that falls”. “We will finally be able to reconnect with cultural trade”, rejoices the co-manager. All the same remains to manage the flow of customers, in this space of about 500m2. With the signposted route, the spacing of the checkouts and the maintenance of the order pick-up counter, the co-manager remains confident. It even plans to use the café space, which will remain unusable, the bistros not being able to reopen before January. Only the literary events that the bookstore used to organize every week will be missing: “We would like to resume, but for now, it is not the priority.”

Romain Métairie

.

An insider revealed a new movie “Predator” with Schwarzenegger

An insider revealed a new movie “Predator” with Schwarzenegger

Among all sorts of sequels, spin-offs, crossovers and reboots, the film “Predators”, perhaps, is one of the best in recent years.

While “Predator 2” was good in his own way, but “Predator” Shane Black included interesting moments, Nimrod Antal’s 2010 project is an old school action movie without finesse.

The film featured a familiar cast, with new characters diluted. They all ended up in the jungle, where they had to fight for survival. That’s the whole plot – and this is one of the reasons why “Predators” proved to be successful.

The project grossed $ 127 million at the box office with a budget of $ 40 million. What’s more, the blockbuster grossed an additional 32 million in DVD and Blu-ray sales in the United States alone, not to mention in positive viewer reviews.

Co-writer Alex Litvak stated that he would like the second part to be something in between “Die hard” and “Alien”… But after “Predator” flopped at the box office two years ago, it seemed like the franchise had come to an end.

However, it was confirmed last week that the thriller director 10 Cloverfield Dan Trachtenberg will handle the restart. Now Daniel Richtman claims there may be several Predator movies in development.

An insider hinted that 20th Century Studios is working on a film that could return either Arnold Schwarzenegger or Adrien Broad. Or they can appear together.

Disney / Fox are developing not only a prequel, but a sequel, and they want to bring back Adrian Brody and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Fans would love to see a sequel “Predators” and the return of the Austrian action star. And if the studio can find a way to incorporate it into the film, it will surely delight fans.

Heading:
Movies and TV series

.

Thailand frees 3 Iranians, ‘they wanted to hit Israel’ – Middle East

(ANSA) – BANGKOK, NOV 26 – Thailand has announced that it has released three Iranian citizens, detained in Bangkok for planning a bomb attack, never carried out, against Israeli diplomats in 2012. A release that, according to Tehran, constitutes an exchange the release yesterday of the Anglo-Australian researcher Kylie Moore-Gilbert.

The release of the Iranians Masoud Sedaghat Zadeh and Saeed Moradi – the Thai prison authority said – took place yesterday, while the third, Mohamad Khazaei, was pardoned by the King last August. (HANDLE).

REPRODUCTION RESERVED © Copyright ANSA