The climate crisis is advancing – that is why MEPs and entrepreneurs from large corporations have sent US President Biden an appeal. It should cut emissions in half by 2030.
Photo series with 19 pictures
MEPs and business leaders have urged US President Joe Biden to halve the United States’ greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 compared to 2005 levels. About 100 signatories started the call on Tuesday with a view to a climate summit next week. Immediately after taking office in January, Biden led the US back to the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement, which his predecessor Donald Trump had terminated. He is expected to announce a new climate target at the summit he convened on April 22nd and 23rd.
Scientists believe it is necessary to reduce US greenhouse gases by at least 50 percent by 2030 in order to comply with the Paris Agreement. The appeal states: “An alliance between the United States and Europe is essential to combat climate change and enable a just and sustainable transition.” The USA and Europe would represent 25 percent of global emissions and markets with 800 million people. “If we act together, we can make a difference.”
The initiator is the head of the Environment Committee in the European Parliament, Pascal Canfin. Signatories are members of the Liberals, Social Democrats, Christian Democrats and the Greens, but also large companies such as Ikea, Lego and Coca-Cola, as well as associations and think tanks.
The EU states agreed in December to achieve a reduction in greenhouse gases of at least 55 percent by 2030, albeit compared to 1990. The European Parliament is calling for a reduction of 60 percent.
The death of George Floyd sparked heavy protests against racism and police violence in the United States. Now another black man dies from a police bullet in the same state. US President Biden urges demonstrators not to use violence.
After the death of another black man during a police operation in the US state of Minnesota, US President Joe Biden has called for calm. “Peaceful protest is understandable,” said Biden on Monday in the White House. But there is “absolutely no justification” for violence. The President pointed out that the investigation into the death of 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center in the north of the metropolis of Minneapolis must be awaited. “The question is whether it was an accident or on purpose. That has yet to be clarified.”
The US President also wrote on Twitter: “Today I think of Daunte Wright and his family – and the pain, anger and trauma that black America experiences every day.” While he awaits the investigation, he is aware of what needs to be worked on: “Restore trust and ensure accountability so that no one is above the law.”
A policewoman had at a traffic control on Sunday shot at Wright. The incident sparked protests that also escalated into violence. In Minneapolis and the neighboring city of Saint Paul, a nighttime curfew for the metropolitan area went into effect on Monday evening, and it should last until 6:00 a.m. (local time) Tuesday morning. The authorities announced an increased presence of police and National Guard security forces. The trial of ex-police officer Derek Chauvin for the violent death of African American George Floyd in May of last year is currently ongoing in Minneapolis.
Apparently accidentally used pistol instead of teaser
Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said he believed a female police officer accidentally fired a shot. According to initial findings, instead of using a stun gun (taser), she mistakenly pulled her pistol. The president of the civil rights organization NAACP, Derrick Johnson, stated, “Whether it is negligence and negligence or an outright modern day lynching, the result is the same. Another black man died at the hands of a police officer.”
At a press conference, Gannon showed footage of the cameras that the police officers wore on their bodies (bodycams). It shows security guards attempting to handcuff Wright. Wright loosens his grip and gets back into his car. A policewoman shouts “Taser Taser Taser” but has a pistol in her hand. A shot appears to go off the gun before Wright drives away. The policewoman first says a shocked-looking expletive and then: “I just shot him.”
Mayor Mike Elliott said Wright drove several blocks and then crashed into another vehicle. He could not have been resuscitated. Elliott pledged full education and justice for Wright. The local broadcaster WCCO, citing forensic medicine, reported that Wright died of a gunshot wound to his chest.
Protests in Minnesota following the death of young African American Daunte Wright: clashes broke out between protesters and police. Biden calls for calm. (Source: ImageSPACE / MediaPunch / imago images)
“Heartbreaking and just unbelievable”
Police Chief Gannon emphasized, “There is nothing I can say to alleviate the family pain.” He was not aware that a weapon had been found in the victim’s car. The policewoman was released during the ongoing investigation. The police checked Wright because his car had expired. When checking his personal details, they then found that there was an arrest warrant against him for a “gross offense”.
Mayor Elliott said another black man was killed by police after George Floyd was “heartbreaking and just beyond belief”. Elliott insisted, “It couldn’t have happened at a worse time.” America and the whole world looked to the local community that was still “devastated” after Floyd’s death. On Twitter, he called on people to go home.
Renewed violence during protests
The new death had sparked heavy protests on Sunday evening. US media reported that hundreds of demonstrators surrounded a police station. There were clashes with security forces who, among other things, used tear gas. The local police later received reinforcements from the Minnesota National Guard, which is currently stationed in Minneapolis because of the chauvin trial.
Heavy police presence in the city of Brooklyn Center on Monday night: There were numerous protests. (Source: ImageSPACE / MediaPunch / imago images)
After Floyd’s death in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020, there were mass protests against police violence and racism in the United States for months. The ex-police officer Chauvin is accused of pressing his knee on George Floyd’s neck for minutes during the operation last year, although the latter pleaded to let him breathe.
Professional leagues cancel games
In response to the recent incident, the professional leagues NBA, NHL and MLB canceled the games planned for Monday evening with the participation of the Minnesota teams. In the NBA, the Minnesota Timberwolves would have played basketball against the Brooklyn Nets, in the National Hockey League the encounter between the Minnesota Wild and Augsburg’s Nico Sturm against the St. Louis Blues is affected. In Major League Baseball, the game of the Minnesota Twins with Berlin’s Max Kepler in the squad against the Boston Red Sox was canceled, as the leagues announced.
Meanwhile, in Windsor, Virginia, a police officer who had used irritant gas during a traffic control against a black lieutenant in the US armed forces was released. The city said an investigation into the “unfortunate” incident last December found that the policeman had failed to comply with procedural rules.
At the party congress, Björn Höcke succeeds in completely turning the AfD program around in key points. The camp around party leader Jörg Meuthen has hardly anything to oppose the far right – and is overrun. The reason is a serious misjudgment.
GENEVA – The World Health Organization (WHO) is convinced that a critical point has been reached in the fight against the coronavirus. The number of new infections and deaths rose significantly for the seventh time in a row last week, the WHO warned in Geneva on Monday. “The curve of the pandemic is growing exponentially,” said WHO expert Maria Van Kerkhove. Last week 4.4 million new infections were reported, a year ago there were around 500,000 cases at this time. The delivery and administration of vaccines is ongoing, but at least that is not enough for the moment.
The Buchenwald concentration camp was liberated by the Americans 76 years ago, and the Nazis killed tens of thousands of people here. Even three quarters of a century later, the memory of the horror should not fade, appealed to Federal President Steinmeier at a memorial event in Weimar.
On the 76th anniversary of the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp, Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier called for memories of the atrocities committed by the Nazis to be kept alive. “It is not just the number of deaths, it is the circumstances under which people in Buchenwald were disenfranchised and exploited, tortured and killed that make up the horror of this place,” said Steinmeier at a memorial ceremony in Weimar. “It is the reversal of all values, the perversion of law, morality and humanity,” added the Federal President.
“That is why we should not forget and do not want to forget what happened here. Because those who no longer remember what happened have also forgotten what can happen.” Steinmeier recalled that the inscription “Each his own” on the Buchenwald camp gate meant imprisonment, hunger, torture and forced labor for around a quarter of a million people between 1937 and 1945. “More than 34,000 male camp inmates died in Buchenwald, and more than 300 female prisoners lost their lives in the 27 Buchenwald subcamps,” said the Federal President.
“The SS shot 8,000 Soviet prisoners of war in a shot in the neck specially designed for this purpose, and hanged 1,100 nameless prisoners in the camp’s own crematorium.” At least 12,000 prisoners died on the death marches in April 1945 and hundreds more died in the first days after the liberation. “In total, at least 56,000 people were killed in one of the largest concentration camps on the territory of the National Socialist German Reich.”
“Responsibility that something similar never happens again”
With his large number of victim groups, Buchenwald stood “for the entire barbarism of the Nazis, for an aggressive nationalism towards the outside, for dictatorship and oppression within, and for a nationalist way of thinking,” Steinmeier emphasized. “Buchenwald stands for racial madness, torture, murder and extermination.” The Federal President expressed his gratitude “that the memory of Buchenwald is accepted as a task again and again, by many and with great passion”. He thanked contemporary witnesses from all over the world, “who take on the painful remembrance and thereby leave us a legacy”.
“I would like to thank the heads of memorial sites and curators in Buchenwald and Mittelbau-Dora, who keep finding contemporary ways of commemorating and remembering.” “I also thank them for resolutely opposing all those who deliberately disregard the dignity of the victims today,” added the head of state. Steinmeier also expressed his thanks to the numerous young people “who volunteer in their free time to do remembrance work.” “They are all doing the right thing,” said the Federal President.
“Do not let yourself be impressed by challenges. Your work remains indispensable. Not because we are responsible today for what happened then, but because all of us who see ourselves as human beings are responsible for ensuring that something similar never happens again. ” The Buchenwald concentration camp was liberated by US troops on April 11, 1945. To mark the 76th anniversary, commemorative events were held on Sunday in the German National Theater in Weimar and in the Buchenwald Memorial. According to the Buchenwald and Mittelbau-Dora Memorials Foundation, the memorial was broadcast online in six languages so that survivors and relatives around the world were able to participate in times of pandemic.