With the Russian women’s handball team, Evgeny Trefilov won four world championships and the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. However, at the Tokyo Games, our team will be led by a different mentor. Trefilov goes there in an unusual role for himself.
– Evgeny Vasilievich, how do you feel in the role of a coach-consultant?
– No way. Weird feeling. This is unusual for me. I’m going to the Games in Tokyo, but I will live separately from the team.
– These are the quotas. For example, the federation wanted to include another massage therapist in the national team, but we were not allowed. I am accredited to the Olympics as vice president of the FGR.
– Earlier you told me that doctors forbid you to go to Japan. There is a coronavirus pandemic in the yard, and you had heart surgery …
– I have undergone not one operation in my life, but several. Through what hole this coronavirus can crawl to me – only God knows. Maybe tomorrow I’ll fall on the porch of the house and won’t get up. But I’m not used to sitting around. I’m bored. So I decided to fly to Tokyo. I will pass three tests for coronavirus in Moscow.
– When will you fly to the capital of Japan?
– I don’t know the exact date yet. First, Sergei Nikolaevich Shishkarev and I, (President of the Russian Handball Federation – approx. Sportbox.ru) we will arrive in Novorossiysk – for the opening of a new grain berth. From there we will go to Abrau-Durso …
– Really for a champagne tasting?
– No, we will not taste anything! I’m not on this case. Once in my youth, I went over so much that I felt bad. I remember thinking: if only my mother did not see me in such a state. I felt ashamed. Since then I don’t drink much, I know my limits … A new sports complex was built in Abrau-Dyurso. Again, we’re going to open it. In general, from the Krasnodar Territory we will fly to Moscow, and then to Tokyo.
– The current Russian team includes eight Olympic champions in Rio. Is it good or bad? Has the process of generational change dragged on?
– The choice of the squad is the prerogative of the head coach. He is responsible for the result, and I can only advise. But, to be honest, I would have included in the composition of two or three other athletes. However, I am a consultant and do not want to interfere with Alekseev’s work.
– What is your relationship with Alexey Alexandrovich?
– He was my assistant in the national team, we worked together. Two years ago, when I left the team (my heart began to play naughty), Alekseev stayed. He helped the Spaniard Ambros Martin. And when Martin was removed, he took his place. My relationship with Alexei is working. I structured the training process differently, played the team differently, but this is normal. Of course, he’s tempted to insert his five cents. But I am silent. I didn’t even go to the pre-Olympic training camp in Sochi.
– In order not to loom, as Vysotsky said. Do not interfere. The national team must have one head coach. And then the girls can lose the landmark. I remember how back in 1982 the USSR national football team played at the World Cup in Spain. Beskov was the head coach there, and two more were imposed on him – Lobanovsky and Akhalkatsi. Each of the three pulled the blanket over. The result is a three-headed Serpent Gorynych. In the grouping team, grievances arose. In general, nothing good came of it. Please note that we have a female team, and this is a special article. Working as a trainer with women is like putting a grenade under you and pulling the pin. We only sweat with them in the same way, but otherwise – completely different people.
– In two test matches before the Olympics, the Russian team lost to the Netherlands and Sweden. Does this fact bother you?
– It is not necessary to attach great importance to these two defeats. It is better to lose in friendlies than in the Olympics. In Holland, Lena Mikhailichenko played after a severe injury – before that her knee was collapsed. I once called Lena “green snot”, and she remembered. Well, and what, Mikhailichenko is not yet 20 years old, she has everything ahead. The worst thing in sports is the test of fame. After Rio de Janeiro, our girls got a little arrogant. So what? In Europe, two years later, they became the second.
– Silver medals – is that bad?
– I wanted gold.
– What can you really count on in Tokyo?
– I’ll say it carefully: for a successful performance. Don’t forget, the flag and anthem were taken away from our athletes. Plus covid restrictions. It will be a very tough Olympics. They smile in our faces, but they themselves have a stone in their bosom. There will be a prejudiced attitude. I understand that no one is obliged to love Russia. The main thing is not to harm.
– The # 1 favorite in women’s handball is the Norwegian national team?
– Yes. The Norwegians are very strong. France and Holland, I would also classify as favorites. And also the Swedish national team. However, you need to tune in to any opponent. If you give a little slack, you will be devoured.
– Do you want to return to the coaching bridge?
– Sure. I will not dissemble. But I understand that health is not the same. We must give way to the young. This is what worries me now. Several promising girls were taken from us from Krasnodar, where I work. They are 13-15 years old. My parents blatantly lied to me. Deceived. They said that their daughters decided to give up handball. And then I found out that these girls are quietly training, only in another city – in Astrakhan. They were simply lured away, and their parents were promised financial benefits. I don’t know what to do about it. People have become obsessed with money, and decency and honesty somehow imperceptibly recede into the past.