Two people were arrested for being involved in a scheme to appropriate four million euros of the insolvent estate of a company based in the Autonomous Region of the Azores, the Judiciary Police (PJ) reported today.
The two suspects, a man and a woman aged 55 and 75, one of whom is a judicial administrator, were involved “in a criminal plan aimed at the appropriation of four million euros, belonging to the insolvent estate of a company based in the Autonomous Region of the Azores”, details the statement
Both were arrested on suspicion of committing crimes of embezzlement, forgery of documents and money laundering in connection with the “Atlantis” operation, the PJ reported.
The investigation takes place at the Lisbon Department of Investigation and Penal Action (DIAP).
According to the PJ, the “modus operandi” consisted of the simulation of contracts, aiming at the supposed investment of the insolvent mass in non-discriminated financial products, with guaranteed capital, as well as in real estate investments.
“The four million euros were actually credited to the bank account of one of the detainees, with only suspicions about the legality of the operation being communicated to the FIU in a timely manner. [Unidade de Informação Financeira], prevented their sending to third party accounts and subsequent effective use “, says PJ.
The detainees were present at the first interrogation, and preventive detention measures were imposed on one of them and the suspension of the profession and a ban on contact with the other.
The operation was carried out by the PJ, through the National Unit to Combat Corruption (UNCC), with the collaboration of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Azores.
The US Department of Justice announced that the FBI had received permission to remotely access hundreds of US computers in order to remove backdoors left by hackers who had previously entered their systems.
The action follows recent cyber espionage and hacking campaigns exploiting several zero-day vulnerabilities in Microsoft Exchange Server software.
While many owners of infected systems were successful in removing web command interpreters from thousands of computers, others appeared unable to do so, and hundreds of backdoors remained accessible, the DoJ says.
The FBI proceeded with the removal by issuing a command through backdoors to unpatched servers. The DoJ states that it will also try to notify their officials who may have been identified and, failing that, their ISPs.
With the result of an investigation by a team of Israeli super-spies, the daughter of the former President of Angola sought to demonstrate that she was a target to be slaughtered by the executive of João Lourenço and discredit Sonangol, with whom she is in litigation in London and Amsterdam. Alleged conspiracy involves Oi Brazilians.
An international operation allowed, in six days, to rescue almost 500 victims and carry out 195 arrests. Portugal continues to be used by criminal networks
An operation coordinated by Interpol made it possible, between March 28 and April 2, to rescue nearly 500 victims of trafficking in human beings, including children, and to identify 760 illegal migrants. 195 people were also detained, 88 of whom for trafficking in human beings and 63 for illegal immigration. Other arrests were justified by crimes related to theft, drug trafficking and forgery of documents.
It was precisely this last crime that led to a man being arrested at Humberto Delgado Airport, in Lisbon. The individual was trying to use a citizen’s card stolen in France in August last year, which was on Interpol’s alert system. The stolen document was signaled by the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), which participated in the Weka operation with one hundred inspectors, in the control of Portuguese border posts. In just six days, SEF inspectors inspected about 130,000 passengers, detected 78 precautionary measures and carried out six arrest warrants.
Convenience weddings with Portuguese
In addition to Portugal, the international operation involved 23 other countries, some with an official Portuguese language, such as Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe. According to Interpol, the exchange of information between authorities in all countries made it possible to identify places of origin, transit and destination for human trafficking and illegal immigration. It also allowed, in some cases, to proceed with investigations and to dismantle groups that are dedicated to organized crime.
The latest edition of the Annual Internal Security Report (RASI) already highlighted the fact that “labor exploitation continues to be a phenomenon present in Portugal”. “Workers, mostly nationals from Romania, Moldova, Pakistan, Nepal and India, were recruited to work in seasonal campaigns, such as picking olives, chestnuts, fruits or vegetables, being transported to the farms where they start to work and live. “, described the document.
RASI also signaled an “organized network that attracted Portuguese citizens to celebrate marriages of convenience with individuals of Nigerian nationality and a transnational network to assist illegal immigration and falsification / counterfeiting of documents, with ramifications in Brazil, Portugal, Canada, USA, United Kingdom Kingdom, Holland and Luxembourg “. “In this investigation, there was an evolution and modification of the modus operandi. The fraudulent documentation was issued on the basis of birth or marriage certificates of alleged grandchildren / great-grandchildren. It allowed to signal cases of false identity and usurpation of identity and to identify the involvement of 12 Brazilian citizens and one national citizen “, read.
Escaped forced marriage and was the target of sexual abuse
For Interpol, “Operation Weka demonstrated, once again, the close link between illegal immigration and human trafficking, particularly in a global health crisis, when the most vulnerable are desperate to escape difficulties and criminal networks are just eager to make a profit “. “These victims could not simply get away from the horrible situation in which they found themselves and the suffering they endured. That is why Interpol’s work does not stop here. We will continue to help countries unravel sensitive problems and complex cases, which, they will undoubtedly generate more arrests in the months to come, “said Interpol Secretary General Jürgen Stock.
One of these complex cases involved a 15-year-old Congolese girl who escaped from a forced marriage with the ‘help’ of smugglers. However, during the trip, the teenager suffered sexual abuse until she was identified and rescued in Tunisia. The authorities are still trying to ascertain whether she was also sexually exploited.
A 21-year-old man accused of shooting another young man outside Lick nightclub in Loulé in August 2019 was sentenced to 16 years. The decision was made known this Friday at the Faro court.
The defendant, António Tavares, was accused of the crimes of qualified homicide, two crimes of qualified homicide in the attempted form, a crime of possession of a prohibited weapon and a crime of driving a motor vehicle without legal authorization.
He ended up being convicted of a simple homicide, that of Lucas Leote, and one of simple homicide in the attempted form (a security guard at the establishment).
The crime occurred in the early hours of August 23, 2019. Lucas Leote, 19, who worked at the disco, was fatally shot in the head. The shots were aimed at security guards who had prevented the defendant from entering the establishment.
During the trial, the defendant made statements. He assumed responsibility for the shots, but denied the intention to kill and showed regret. He said he left the place to fetch a gun to “scare” security guards who would not let him in, accusing them of assaults.
António Tavares fled for about a year, ending up being arrested in August 2020. He lived with his girlfriend on the outskirts of Paris where he was located as part of an investigation by the Southern Directorate of the Judiciary Police. The 9 mm caliber firearm from which the shots were fired was never recovered.
António Tavares fled for about a year, ending up being arrested in August 2020. He lived with his girlfriend on the outskirts of Paris where he was located as part of the investigation by the Southern Directorate of the Judiciary Police. The 9 mm caliber firearm from which the shots were fired was never recovered.
The public prosecutor has demanded a six-year prison sentence at the court in The Hague against Kevin A. (20) from Rotterdam. He is one of the suspects in the violent confrontation between Amsterdam and Rotterdam drillrap groups at the Pier in Scheveningen.
Nineteen-year-old Cennethson Janga (‘Chuchu’) from Rotterdam was killed in a stabbing. Two Amsterdam suspects are still in custody for this. They will be in court later this year.
Justice suspects Kevin A. of preparatory acts of murder or manslaughter, because he would have taken a firearm to Scheveningen on August 10 last year. According to the officer, A. interfered in an argument of which he himself was not a part at first. According to her, it was a conflict between rapper Blacka and the Amsterdammer Tyrece B. (20), who is still on the run.
“A. started the violence on the pier, after which chaos ensued. Janga was stabbed to death in the violence,” said the officer in the court in The Hague on Wednesday. “A. is responsible for the start of the fight and the frightening situation that followed.” The court has surveillance images showing the confrontation between the two groups.
A. is on Blacka’s Snapchat with a gun
During the hearing, the court showed images that rapper Blacka shared on Snapchat on the way to Scheveningen. It shows a weapon. A., who was in the car with Blacka, denies in court that he took a weapon in his bag to the Scheveningen Pier.
The prosecutor on Wednesday demanded acquittal for the attempted murder or manslaughter, because the statements of the witnesses fall short to prove this. Nor can the judiciary prove that A. had discussed this with Blacka beforehand.
In his last word, A. emphasized that he was not carrying a firearm on the pier: “Something is being forced on me.” The court will rule on April 21.
A. is also on trial for violent theft during a performance by rappers Qlas and Blacka in The Hague, in which the victim was hit on the head with a telephone. A. acknowledges that he then dealt blows, but denies that he is responsible for the theft of a Louis Vuitton bag containing 1,100 euros. According to the court, it seems as if A. acted as Blacka’s bodyguard, but A. dismisses this suggestion.
Two unidentified DNA profiles were detected in butts who were in the car of the 21-year-old man who died and dismembered in the Algarve in March last year. The defense of Maria Malveiro, one of the two defendants, wants to clarify if there is a third suspect or if there was contamination of evidence.
In an application submitted to the Court of Portimão this Monday, lawyer Tânia Reis asks that samples be collected from all inspectors of the Judiciary Police (PJ) who had direct intervention in the case. Only after the result of this diligence is it possible “with serenity and expert certainty to accept that (…) there is no third party involved in the death”, says the document, which JN had access to.
The car from which the butts were collected belonged to the victim, Diogo Gonçalves. According to the prosecution, it served to transport the body to the garage where it was dismembered and then to a cliff, in Sagres, from where it was thrown into the sea.
João de Sousa, a forensic consultant who is part of Maria Malveiro’s defense team, told JN that there were 47 butts in the vehicle, but only eight were collected by the PJ. They are not identified, but it is known that one is male and the other female. The first assumes greater relevance for the defense, since “there is an eyewitness who saw a man by the victim’s car,” he added.
According to the reports to which the JN had access, this male profile does not correspond to that found in one of two razors seized by the PJ and which led to the postponement of the trial on the 24th of March. This male profile is also not identified, but it is known that it does not belong to the victim.
The court accepted the request and gave the parties a five-day time limit to comment. The next session of the trial is scheduled for April 13, but the delivery of this new application may result in rescheduling.
Maria Malveiro, a 20-year-old security guard and Mariana Fonseca, 24, are accused of qualified homicide, desecration of a corpse, two crimes of illegitimate access, a crime of computer fraud and simple theft. Maria is also responsible for a crime of theft of vehicle use and a crime of possession of a prohibited weapon and Mariana for embezzlement.
According to the prosecution, they killed Diogo Gonçalves in order to keep the 70,000 euros in compensation that the young man received for his mother’s deadly run over. The defendants allegedly dismembered the body and threw the remains into the sea, in Sagres, and in a waterfall, in Tavira.
The then girlfriends, who confessed to the crimes, stayed together in the cell in the Tires jail. When the relationship ended, they began to present contradictory versions on trial, accusing each other. None mentioned the participation of a third person.
Judge of the Azores had considered that it was a mere “estradal offense” and denied expertise to the cell phone. Relação says it may have endangered children.
The Public Prosecutor’s Office (MP) of Ribeira Grande, in the Azores, is investigating a woman for suspected crimes of abuse and exposure or abandonment, for having made rights on Facebook while driving with her two children in the car, one of them still baby. The situation was communicated to the authorities by the Commission for the Protection of Children and Youth.
In December, a criminal investigating judge considered the action to be just a “foreign offense” and did not allow an investigation to be carried out on the cell phone used in the broadcast. But, already in March, the Lisbon Court of Appeal gave reason to the MP and ordered the decision to be changed. The appellate judges maintain in the ruling that the crimes of mistreatment or exposure or abandonment may even be involved, with “a real impossibility of achieving the purposes of the process by any other means of obtaining evidence”.