Handball, World Cup: The corona-plagued tournament debutant Cape Verde has announced his withdrawal from the Handball World Cup. The German opponents in the preliminary round did not manage to fly healthy players to Egypt in time. The final preliminary round match against Uruguay, planned for Tuesday, was scored by the world association IHF with 10-0 goals and 2-0 points for the South Americans, who are now in the main round. “The IHF has accepted the withdrawal, which protects the health of all those involved in the World Cup,” the world association announced on Monday. The Kap Verdes match against Germany had already failed on Sunday because the underdog was unable to muster the ten capable players required by the regulations due to the corona.
The selection of the German Handball Federation (DHB) was awarded the victory at the Green Table, this was synonymous with the early entry into the next tournament phase. In Cape Verde, two new positive results appeared on Saturday afternoon. Even before the trip to Egypt, the island nation had numerous positive results to complain about, the national team had traveled to the World Cup with a strong replacement. Initially, the newcomer to the tournament had planned to nominate more players for the group final against Uruguay. This attempt failed. According to the IHF, the “necessary precautions are now being taken so that the team can return to Cape Verde”.
Bundesliga, continued: The Saarland Prime Minister Tobias Hans calls for a critical Corona debate about professional football at the political summit of the country leaders with Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday. There are many inconsistencies that have to be talked about at the conference, the CDU politician told the Saarland radio on Monday. At the same time, the 42-year-old criticized the privileges for professional football, which has been allowed to keep the game going despite the lockdown in Germany. “Children are not allowed to play football while you continue in the Bundesliga as if nothing had happened – even with the mutation that is now in play,” said Hans.
Angela Merkel and the country leaders discussed on Tuesday about possible tightening of the corona rules and a further extension of the lockdown. The main reason is the concern that highly contagious virus mutations could also spread in this country. Most recently, the federal government and prime minister refrained from further interfering with professional sport when tightening the corona rules. Like the top divisions in handball, ice hockey or basketball, the professional football leagues are allowed to continue their operations with hygiene concepts and without spectators. In the first lockdown last spring, professional sport had interrupted its competitions for at least a few weeks.
Football, EM: The SPD health expert Karl Lauterbach does not expect the pan-European football championship planned for the summer (June 11 to July 11) to take place. “I believe that the EM will be canceled completely because we will have a situation in March that will be worse in many European countries than it is today,” Lauterbach told the news portal t-online. So far, the plan is for the tournament to be played in a total of twelve countries. There have been rumors for weeks that the event cannot be held in this format. Recently there were apparently considerations to play the EM in only one country. The final decision on how the EURO will be played should be made by March 5th.
Lauterbach indicated that due to the development of the corona pandemic, a situation could arise in March “in which hardly anyone would even think of hosting a European football championship”. DFL boss Christian Seifert also has doubts about hosting in the planned format. In an interview with the Frankfurter Allgemeine SonntagszeitunHe emphasized that “the European Championship can work”. However, he also said that he could imagine that “the organizers could refrain from playing this European Championship in too many cities.”
Soccer, 2nd division: The presence of about 30 spectators at the home game of the second division soccer team FC Erzgebirge Aue against Fortuna Düsseldorf caused irritation. The people had followed the 3-0 defeat of the Saxons on Saturday on the back straight of the Erzgebirgsstadion and in the second half had loud chants several times. The photos show how the minimum distance was not observed. Some people also did not wear a mouth and nose cover, which violates the hygiene concept of the German Football League (DFL). According to Aues managing director Michael Voigt, the spectators had helped clear the area of snow in the run-up to the game. “The people were available on call during the game to help clear the pitch immediately if there was more snowfall,” said Voigt.
Handball, World Cup: The second World Cup game of the German handball players against Cape Verde threatens to be canceled due to two further corona cases in the African team. As the world association IHF announced the day before the game on Sunday (6 p.m. / ARD), two players from Cape Verde tested positive again. The two actors were immediately isolated. Since the Africans no longer have the ten players required according to the IHF regulations, the game against the DHB selection is about to be canceled. In this case the game would be rated 10: 0 for the German team.
However, the Africans, who currently have only nine players who tested negative, could theoretically nominate further players from their expanded World Cup squad and have them travel to Egypt. “At the moment it is a clear recommendation to the team that they shouldn’t make any attempts to bring the missing people from the extended squad here,” said DHB sports director Axel Kromer. “The game against us is hardly possible.”
Although numerous corona cases had already occurred in the Cape Verde team in the run-up to the tournament in Egypt, the team played its first World Cup game against Hungary (27:34) on Friday evening.
Tennis, Australian Open: Three positive corona tests on the journey to the Australian Open severely disrupted the preparation for the first Grand Slam tournament of the year. As the organizers announced on Saturday, a total of 47 tennis professionals are in strict quarantine and are therefore not allowed to leave their hotel room for 14 days. It was originally planned that the athletes would be allowed to train for a maximum of five hours a day during this time in order to prepare for the start in Melbourne (from February 8).
The organizers did not provide the names of the quarantined players. It was therefore initially unclear whether German professionals belong to the group of isolated athletes. The three-time Grand Slam winner Angelique Kerber arrived in Melbourne on Friday. According to the organizers, two charter flights were affected on arrival. On a flight from the United States, two people tested positive on arrival. Those affected are a member of the crew and “a passenger who is not a player”. Both had given a negative test in the run-up to the flight, a total of 79 people, including 24 players on board.
“We communicate with everyone on this flight, especially the group of players, to accommodate their needs as best we can,” said Tournament Director Craig Tiley. The second affected machine started from Abu Dhabi and had a total of 23 players on board, the positive test should not affect any athletes here either. The effort of the Australian organizers is enormous to get the tournament off the stage amid the pandemic. Players and accompanying persons are currently flown in with a total of 18 charter planes. The strict bubble concept is expected to cost over 25 million euros.
Biathlon, Oberhof: There are two more corona cases at the Biathlon World Cup in Oberhof. As the world association IBU announced, an athlete and a supervisor from Slovenia tested positive for the virus. Both people were isolated and quarantined for ten days. According to local regulations, two athletes identified as direct contact persons even have to be quarantined for 14 days.
In addition to the remaining competitions on Rennsteig, the three affected athletes will also miss the World Cup dress rehearsal in Antholz from January 21. In Oberhof, 23 of over 2,400 corona tests carried out were positive, which means that there were already five more corona cases than at the first two World Cup stations combined.
Handball, World Cup: Shortly before the defending champion Denmark’s opening game at the Handball World Cup in Egypt, a Danish national player tested positive for the corona virus. It is World Cup debutant Emil Jakobsen, who was previously infected with the virus. The Danish handball association announced on Friday morning that he is now being isolated just like his roommate Morten Olsen. This means that Jakobsen will not appear in the evening against Bahrain. Olsen is hoping for a negative test later in the day.
Football, Club World Cup: The Club World Cup has to plan without the Oceania representative Auckland City. The New Zealand club informed the world association Fifa on Friday that it could not participate in view of the corona pandemic and the quarantine regulations issued by the domestic authorities. Fifa did not name a replacement.
Instead, the title at the tournament in Qatar (February 4th to 11th) will be played among only six teams. Auckland should have played an elimination match against Al-Duhail SC on February 1st. The Qatari champions are now in the second round without a fight. FC Bayern, qualified as the Champions League winner, will only intervene in the tournament with the semi-finals (February 8th).
The pairings will be drawn on January 19 (4 p.m.) in Zurich. In addition to Bayern and Al-Duhail, the continental champions Al-Ahly from Egypt, Ulsan Hyundai (South Korea) and Tigres UANL (Mexico) have been confirmed as participants. Then there is the winner of the South American Copa Libertadores, who will be determined on January 30th in the Brazilian final duel between Santos and Palmeiras.