at least one dead and one gunshot wound in a high school in Tennessee

A police officer was reportedly hit. The police quickly intervened and a security cordon was deployed around the school establishment.

At least one person was killed and another injured Monday April 12 by gunfire at a high school in Knoxville, Tennessee, police said. “Knoxville Police Department officers dispatched to Austin-East Magnet High School after a suspected armed man was reported in the facility.”, police said on Twittter, after calling on the inhabitants of this city of 180,000 inhabitants in the south of the country to avoid the area. “Shots were fired as they approached the suspect”, she detailed, adding that a police officer had been hit but that his life was probably not in danger. One man died on the spot, while another was taken into custody “For further investigation”, add the authorities. They do not specify whether the deceased is one of the suspects. The city’s mayor, Indya Kincannon, told the local press that she spoke with the affected police officer who “is conscious” and “Stay positive”.

A site for families to reunite has been opened in a baseball stadium adjacent to the high school, authorities said. “The establishment was secured and the students who were not affected by the incident were entrusted to their families”School district official Bob Thomas said in a tweet. Tennessee Governor Bill Lee lamented a situation “Tragic and very difficult”. Four days earlier, the same governor had yet signed a bill authorizing from July 1 any adult over 21 in the state to carry a handgun without a license.

School shootings have been a recurring scourge in the United States since the Columbine, Colorado, April 1999 massacre. “epidemic”President Joe Biden unveiled targeted measures to limit the proliferation of firearms in the United States last week.

.

a jihadist leader and 40 assailants killed while attacking a UN camp

A lieutenant of the Malian jihadist leader Iyad Ag Ghaly, and an executive of the Support Group for Islam and Muslims – an alliance affiliated with al-Qaeda and one of the main jihadist groups in the Sahel – and more than forty attackers were killed Friday April 2. The group was attacking a peacekeeper camp in the north.

This is a response of rare vigor on the part of the UN mission (Minusma), regularly attacked by jihadists and often criticized for its military weakness. “Undoubtedly, the peacekeepers have inflicted a major setback on the terrorists, although we deplore the deaths of four“Members of the UN forces, told AFP Mahamat Saleh Annadif, special representative of the UN secretary general for Mali and head of Minusma.

Four Chadian peacekeepers were killed in the attack on their camp hosting a contingent of soldiers from their country on Friday in Aguelhok, about 200 km from Algeria, according to the UN. A UN official had indicated that about twenty jihadists had been killed during three hours of fighting, out of the hundred taking part in the operation.

During searches carried out Sunday and Monday, the peacekeepers found new corpses. “To date, there are more than forty terrorists killed, including a right-hand man of Iyad Ag Ghaly, named Abdallaye Ag Albaka», Reported Mr. Annadif.

Abdallaye Ag Albaka, former mayor of the town of Tessalit, was said to have been very close to Iyad Ag Ghaly for a long time and had a prominent military role in the north. A UN security official, speaking on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of such information, placed him in third place in the Jnim hierarchy. Four jihadists were captured and handed over to Malian forces, the official said.

Minusma, deployed in Mali since 2013 (15,000 men and women, including about 12,000 soldiers), is currently the United Nations peace mission that has suffered the most losses in the world, with more than 140 killed in hostile acts, according to UN statistics.

.

Viktor Orban wants to rally Salvini and Morawiecki in a union of eurosceptics

The obstacles to this unprecedented alliance remain numerous, in particular Poland’s aversion to Russia.

Should we see there the beginnings of a great alliance between European populists? In any case, the Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orban, did not shy away from his pleasure Thursday afternoon when he welcomed in Budapest his Polish counterpart, Mateusz Morawiecki, as well as the leader of the Lega, Matteo Salvini. A meeting for which he made great publicity, posting on social networks pictures of the three men under the blue sky of the Hungarian capital, the Danube below.

After two hours of discussions, the guests and their host gave a press conference. “We want a European renaissance. Millions of Europeans are not properly represented by the EPP, which cooperates with the European left. We want to represent the Christian Democrats“Said Viktor Orban, claiming to reject the”ridiculous geometry according to which the right has only extremes, while the left has only one center ”. All were keen to demonstrate that they share

This article is for subscribers only. You have 83% left to discover.

Subscribe: 1 € the first month

Can be canceled at any time

Already subscribed? Log in

.

Spy throws a chill between Rome and Moscow

STORY – The arrest of an Italian officer who provided confidential files to Russia allows Draghi to show his firmness against the Russian ally.

Rome

There is like an old cold war tune in this scene seen a hundred times. A Russian official, blue cap pulled down over his eyes, takes several public transport to blend in with anonymity, then joins a Carrefour car park in a distant suburb of Rome, in Spinaceto. A place where no foreign official ever goes. He walks around, checks that he is not being followed, gets into the car where an Italian naval officer is waiting for him. They exchange two small boxes of drugs… And there, bing! The riflemen of the “special operations” emerge and seize the object of the offense: in one, a memory card loaded with 181 classified documents “Confidential defense” ; in the other, 5,000 euros.

The mania of Walter Biot, 55, of the Defense Staff Office, to take a picture of his computer screen, had ended up worrying his colleagues. Alerted at the end of 2020, the Italian intelligence and internal security agency forwards it for several

This article is for subscribers only. You have 83% left to discover.

Subscribe: 1 € the first month

Can be canceled at any time

Already subscribed? Log in

.

Bolsonaro tries to bring the army in line

The Brazilian president sacked the three most senior officers, opposed to the political use of the armed forces.

A day after dismissing the defense minister, Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday fired the three main military leaders opposed to his attempts to launch the army into “Political adventures”. In doing so, the ex-parachutist captain opened an unprecedented crisis with this institution which today respects the democratic order but whose image remains marred by the gloomy memory of the military dictatorship (1964-1985).

On Tuesday, Generals Edson Pujol (land) and Antonio Carlos Moretti Bermudez (air) and Admiral Ilques Barbosa (Navy), all in solidarity with their minister, were informed during an apparently very tense meeting with the new holder of the Defense, General Walter Braga Netto, that the president had decided to dismiss them. Such a collective measure is, according to historians, unprecedented in Brazil and has shocked the high command.

The day before, Jair Bolsonaro had dismissed General Fernando Azevedo e Silva, on the occasion of a vast surprise reshuffle including

This article is for subscribers only. You have 77% left to discover.

Subscribe: 1 € the first month

Can be canceled at any time

Already subscribed? Log in

.

Donald Trump attacks two of his former advisers

The former president of the United States attacked Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, whom he accuses by way of a press release of making “their own promotion” and of trying “to rewrite history” about the coronavirus epidemic.

Donald Trump attacked Monday, March 29 with virulence to two of his best-known ex-advisers in the fight against the pandemic, Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, who confided to CNN about their difficult experience with the ex – American president.

In a long, angry, often mocking statement, the Republican accused these experts of being “two people self-promoting and trying to rewrite history to make people forget their bad instincts and failing recommendations, which I luckily almost always refused to follow».

Boasting his own action on vaccines – his administration had invested billions in several projects – Donald Trump said that “if it had been up to them, we would be locked in our basements right now and our country would go through a financial depression“. And to continue: “Dr Fauci is also the king of jacket reversals (…) to look good.“. He also denigrated the performance of the immunologist when he made the first pitch in a baseball game last year.

As for Dr. Birx, it is “a confirmed liar, who has almost no credibility», He asserted. “It was a very negative voice that didn’t have the right answers“, He added, reminding us -“who can forget it?– that she had attended a family reunion after the Thanksgiving holiday when she asked Americans to stay home to curb the epidemic.

This exit of the billionaire installed in Florida since leaving the White House comes after Dr. Fauci told CNN, in the context of a documentary, how shocked he was that Donald Trump called on American states to withdraw. “release»While the experts urged respect for sanitary rules. It was like “a punch to the chest», He affirmed.

Deborah Birx, she told, also to CNN, to have received a phone call “very difficultFrom the then president after discussing the spread of the virus in rural areas.

SEE ALSO – “A Republican President will make a triumphant return to the White House”: no new party but political ambitions for Donald Trump

.

The suicide bombing of a cathedral in Indonesia was carried out by a newlywed couple

The suicide bombers detonated an artisanal device in the enclosure of the building after the celebration of the Palm Sunday mass. 15 people are currently hospitalized.

The suicide bombing attack on a cathedral in Indonesia on Sunday (March 28th) was carried out by a newlywed couple who belonged to an extremist group pro Islamic State, police said on Monday (March 29th).

The attack which targeted the cathedral of Makassar (in the east of the country) on the island of Celebes, occurred after Palm Sunday. It left around twenty people injured. “The attackers were a couple in their twenties, who married just six months agoNational police spokesman Argo Yuwono said. “Investigation continues to find others involved in the attack», He clarified. The two suicide bombers were killed as they entered the compound on a motorbike, where they detonated a homemade device, authorities said.

SEE ALSO – In Indonesia, a cathedral targeted by “a suspected terrorist attack” at the end of Palm Sunday mass

Anti-terrorism police raided their homes and other addresses in Makassar, a port city of some 1.5 million people. She searches for explosives, weapons and other clues. The man involved in the attack made a living selling food at a street stall, said Nuraini, a resident of the area. The blast outside the main Catholic Church in Makassar came after the celebration of Palm Sunday Mass, which marks Jesus Christ’s entry into Jerusalem, a week before Easter.

On Monday, 15 people remained hospitalized without the severity of their injuries being known. Four slightly injured were released from the hospital. The chief of the national police, Listyo Sigit Prabowo, indicated Sunday (March 28) in the evening, that the attackers were part of the radical group Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD). The extremist group JAD was accused of being behind the organization of attacks on churches in Surabaya, Indonesia’s second largest city, in 2018. These attacks resulted in a total of 15 victims and 13 deaths among the attackers, including five children. He was also implicated by the Indonesian police in a suicide attack in 2019 on Jolo Cathedral in the Philippines, which killed around 20 people. Indonesia’s tradition of tolerance has been put to the test in recent years by the development of conservative and even extremist Islamic currents that threaten religious coexistence.

.

The China Sea, a hot spot between Beijing and Washington

STORY – Since Xi Jinping came to power, China has accelerated the militarization of this area.

Correspondent in Asia

The bulging navy blue hulls line up in a tight row against the turquoise tropical waters, forming a great floating wall, blocking the horizon of the South China Sea. An armada of more than 200 Chinese ships took up position off Whitsun Reef, a coral reef in the Spratley archipelago, on March 7, according to the Philippines, which denounces a new violation of the second world power in their exclusive economic zone. (ZEE). This flotilla with the harmless appearance of trawlers belongs to the Maritime Militia of the Communist regime, accuses Manila, fearing a new Chinese conquest, more than 1,000 km south of the island of Hainan. “We call on the Chinese to immediately withdraw these ships that violate our maritime rights and sovereign territory», Declared Delfin Lorenzana, Minister of Defense of President Rodrigo Duterte, caught between the ambitions of the Middle Kingdom and its turbulent relations with the

This article is for subscribers only. You have 89% left to discover.

Subscribe: 1 € the first month

Can be canceled at any time

Already subscribed? Log in

.

Will the Beijing-Moscow axis strengthen?

BIG DECRYPTION – Coming in just after Biden’s statements on the “killer»Putin, and in the wake of the muscular diplomatic skirmish between Chinese and Americans in Anchorage, Sergey Lavrov’s trip to China has delivered the axes of the Russo-Chinese position.

Among the geopolitical advice he lavishes on the leaders of his country, Henry Kissinger has one close to his heart: to detach Russia from China, as President Nixon once sought to detach China from the orbit of the USSR. This idea had been cherished by the Trump administration without any convincing results, given the structural inability of the American rulers to appease the Washington-Moscow relationship since the arrival of Vladimir Putin in business. At the very least, it was a question of not pushing the Russians into the arms of the Chinese, when Donald Trump had chosen to put the confrontation with Beijing at the center of his foreign policy – a major break with the “strategic patience” observed by Washington since. the end of the cold war. But with the arrival of Joe Biden in business, and his rhetorical declaration of war against Chinese and Russian “authoritarian” regimes, will the Moscow-Beijing rapprochement accelerate?

What does history teach us about the fundamentals of the Russia-China relationship?

It has been 400 years since Russia and China

This article is for subscribers only. You have 89% left to discover.

Subscribe: 1 € the first month

Can be canceled at any time

Already subscribed? Log in

.

the inhabitants of Moutier must choose this Sunday between the German-speaking zone and the French-speaking zone

Already in 2017, an official referendum had been organized, at the end of which the “yes” to the attachment to the canton of Jura – French-speaking, therefore – had narrowly won.

City cut in two, demonstrations prohibited … Switzerland has taken drastic measures in Moutier, which must decide on Sunday March 28 in a historic referendum whether the town goes from the German-speaking canton of Bern to that of the French-speaking Jura.

Sign of the tensions, the Confederation sent observers to monitor the regularity of the ballot, while a first vote in 2016 had been invalidated due to irregularities. Other exceptional measures were taken by the Confederation for this new ballot: control of the electoral register, dispatch of voting material by the Federal Office of Justice and distribution of voting material by federal observers in hospitals and medical establishments. -social for the elderly. Demonstrations are prohibited, and the city of some 7,500 inhabitants, placed under close police surveillance, was divided into two zones for this Sunday, so that the autonomists and the anti-separatists await the results without crossing paths.

As the count in public is impossible due to the Covid-19 epidemic, it will be broadcast live on the internet, to ensure the transparency of the electoral process.

So many measures up to the challenge because this vote could put an end to a conflict dating back several decades.

Succession of referendums

More than 40 years ago, on September 24, 1978, the Swiss people voted for the creation of Jura, the last canton of the Swiss Confederation to have seen the light of day. Certain districts had then chosen to form the canton of Jura while others had preferred to stay near Bern. In Moutier, the inhabitants had thus expressed their wish to remain Bernese, but then, paradoxically, they elected separatist authorities who never ceased to want to divorce Bern.

In addition to the desire to join a French-speaking canton, Moutier intends to make itself heard better with regional authorities, since it would become one of the main towns in the Jura, instead of being just one of the very many small Bernese municipalities.

Two years later, the city of Moutier, in turn, organized a consultation, but not recognized by the cantonal authorities, in order to survey its population on the subject. The inhabitants had refused by a very small majority their attachment to the Jura, for lack of sufficient economic guarantees.

Tenacious, Moutier again organized a referendum in 2017, this time official, at the end of which the “Yes“The attachment to the canton of Jura narrowly won over the”non”To the retention in the canton of Bern by 2,067 votes against 1930. But a year later, the referendum was invalidated mainly because of the random keeping of the municipal electoral register. The Jura separatist group Bélier then denounced a “scandal», While his pro-Bernese opponent Sanglier had called for the resignation of members of the municipality of Moutier.

Moutier is not an isolated case. Not far from there, the 72 inhabitants of the Bernese municipality of Vellerat, also called “the village of AsterixFor its resistance to the Bernese authorities, obtained in 1996, after years of bitter struggle, their attachment to the Jura, thanks to a federal referendum. Other municipalities, such as Belprahon and Sorvilier, have voted in recent years on their cantonal membership. But the vote in Moutier must constitute, according to the federal authorities, “the final popular vote in connection with the Jurassic Question».

The debate on the Jura conflict has been punctuated during several decades of occupations of premises, including Swiss embassies in Paris and Brussels, sabotage and even the death in 1993 of an autonomist from the Bélier group who was carrying a bomb.

.