Businessperson Osman Kavala, who was arrested within the scope of FETÖ’s 15 July coup attempt investigation, appeared before the judge in the case where he was tried for aggravated life imprisonment.
The defendant Osman Kavala was connected to the hearing held at the 36th High Criminal Court of Istanbul through SEGBİS from the prison where he was detained. Consul Generals of Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the US, Denmark, Norway, Sweden consular representatives, Amnesty International representatives and CHP Istanbul Deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu attended the hearing as audience.
“THE PERCEPTION IS MADE OF I AM GUILT”
Stating that the accusations are not based on factual basis, defendant Kavala said:
* These are the allegations that are diametrically opposed to my worldview, ethical values and the purposes of the activities of the non-governmental organizations for which I am responsible.
* In the absence of concrete evidence, the allegations were made the justification of each other, the accusations were intertwined and a perception was made that I was guilty.
* It was stated that the political and military espionage crime that was imposed on me at the beginning of the indictment required a description of the events in the Gezi events in order to understand how it occurred, and the sections taken from the Gezi indictment signed by the same prosecution were used as objective truth.
* I also believe that the method used in the indictment of the Gezi trial, which resulted in acquittal, will shed light on how the allegations in this indictment were constructed.
“I DID NOT HAVE ANY RELATIONSHIP WITH THE GÜLENCİ ORGANIZATION NETWORK”
Stating that he had opposed military coups throughout his life, Kavala used the following statements:
* I criticized the military’s intervention in politics. I have never had any contact with the Gülenist network.
* Supporting the coup attempt is completely contrary to my life experience, worldview and ethical values.
* In the indictment, the fact that Adil Öksüz coincided with his visit to the USA and my trip to Germany was presented as evidence of the connection between us is an extraordinarily illogical claim.
* 11 to 12 November 2015 in the Youth and Sports Ministry representatives and I Dusseldorf Consul General was also invited to the ‘Turkey-Germany Youth Bridge’ was in a meeting.
“I ONLY MEET WITH HENRİ BARKEY”
Osman Kavala said, “There is no evidence that he was in intense contact with Henri Barkey,” stated that he met Henri Barkey at a conference attended by government representatives and said, “I did not have any conversations with Henri Barkey, except for a chance meeting at a restaurant on July 18, 2016, even on the phone. .
“OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATION’S OPERATIONS COMPLY WITH THE LAW”
Stating that the Open Society Foundation acts in accordance with the law, Kavala said in his defense:
* The Open Society Foundation has operated in accordance with the laws and regulations and supported the projects carried out in accordance with the law.
* There is no evidence that the Open Society Foundation is involved in or supports any criminal activity.
* As a member of the Board of the Open Society Foundation, I am also responsible for the activities of the foundation. However, I have never had a special authority or duty to represent the foundation, to make decisions on behalf of the foundation, or to use funds.
“ISHAK LEARN THE ALATON COUP FROM BARKEY ONE WEEK AGO”
Witness Cem Fadıl Bozkurt stated that he was looking for İshak Alaton after the coup attempt because of his illness and said:
* When Alaton asked me where I was on Friday, I said I was unaware of the coup attempt. He told me that his children were going to America.
* When I asked why he didn’t go, he said, ‘Even if they take me, I would die soon. “Henri was here last week, we learned the events from him, we sent the children to America for precautionary purposes.” He died after 1-2 months.
CONTINUE TO RECREATION
At the end of the hearing, the prosecutor decided to continue the detention of Kavala and requested that Leyla Alaton, who was mentioned in the witness statements, be heard as a witness. While the court ruled to continue Osman Kavala’s arrest, the court ruled that Leyla Alaton be heard as a witness.
FROM THE CLAIM
Osman Kavala and former CIA adviser Henri Barkey, who were arrested as part of the investigation into FETÖ’s July 15 coup attempt, demanded that the defendants be sentenced to aggravated life and 20 years in prison for ‘attempting to overthrow the constitutional order’ and ‘political or military espionage’. had been.