The Berlin administrative court has granted an urgent application for curfew. NRW adheres to its strict contact regulations. Overview of corona reports.
Abandoned pub district in Berlin’s Friedrichshain district Photo: dpa
BERLIN dpa / afp / taz | The Berlin administrative court has overturned the curfew in the capital that was decided by the Senate because of the corona pandemic. A court spokesman told the German press agency on Friday. Several restaurateurs had submitted urgent requests against the regulation.
According to lawyer Niko Härting, a total of around a dozen Berlin bars and clubs had turned against the curfew. They criticized the curfew as disproportionate.
From their point of view, there is no convincing reason for the restaurants to close at 11 p.m. With a curfew for the catering industry, young people can then meet in other places for which no hygiene concepts apply, so the argument goes.
Against the background of the significantly increased number of infections, the Senate decided on Tuesday that restaurants, bars, pubs and most shops must be closed between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. in the future. The new regulation came into force last weekend.
Hamburg introduces curfew
The Senate in Hamburg, on the other hand, tightened the applicable Corona requirements. The operation of restaurants is prohibited from Saturday to the public from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following day, as the Senate announced on Friday. During this period there is also a ban on selling alcohol.
Private celebrations outside of your own home are only permitted with up to 25 people. A maximum of 15 celebrants are allowed in your own apartment. In addition, it is recommended to reduce physical contact to an absolutely necessary minimum and to observe suitable hygiene measures, it said.
In addition, after the autumn break, the obligation to wear a mouth and nose cover in the vocational schools and in the upper levels of general education schools will also be extended to lessons.
NRW: Only a maximum of ten people in public space
North Rhine-Westphalia wants to adhere to its strict contact restrictions. In contrast to the more moderate recommendations of the most recent federal-state conference, only a maximum of ten people should still be allowed to meet in public space in NRW – regardless of the infection situation. The NRW Prime Minister Armin Laschet (CDU) reported on Friday in a video link with mayors and district administrators.
The federal-state agreement last Wednesday provides for a limit to ten people only if the number of new infections in a municipality per 100,000 inhabitants increases to 50 or more within seven days. In NRW, when this warning level is reached, only five people have been allowed to meet in public spaces since last Monday.
A mandatory curfew between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. is to be introduced for restaurants in all municipalities with high numbers of new corona infections. The state cabinet also decided on Friday. The curfew applies in municipalities with 50 or more new infections per 100,000 inhabitants within seven days, as Laschet announced.
Mask requirement in Baden-Württemberg also in class
In Baden-Württemberg, the mask requirement will also be extended to teaching at secondary schools from Monday. “The expansion of the mask requirement from grade 5 to teaching applies from a nationwide 7-day incidence of over 35,” said a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Culture on Friday.
“Today we will inform the schools that this will have to be observed from next Monday.” So far, the mask requirement applies from grade five and at secondary schools in Baden-Württemberg only in so-called meeting areas such as school corridors, auditoriums and toilets.
Bavaria and Hesse abolish the ban on accommodation
In Bavaria, the controversial ban on accommodation for travelers from Corona hotspots expired on Friday. The state government waived an extension of the rule, “we leave it at that,” said State Chancellor Florian Herrmann (CSU) on Friday in Munich.
The ban on accommodation ends at the end of the day. As a justification, Herrmann said that it was counting on the states to implement the resolutions of the federal-state agreement from this week.
Herrmann emphasized that the ban on accommodation would remain in the “toolbox” for the fight against the pandemic. Should it become necessary, it can thus be used again. However, this is currently less relevant because the holidays are already over in many regions particularly affected by the pandemic.
Hessen is also planning to abolish the ban on accommodation. The State Chancellery announced this in a statement on Friday. The planned abolition is on the agenda for a meeting of the Corona cabinet next Monday.
Schleswig-Holstein adheres to the ban
The Schleswig-Holstein Higher Administrative Court has rejected an urgent application against the ban on accommodation in the state. A family from the Recklinghausen district (North Rhine-Westphalia), who wanted to take a vacation on Sylt from Friday, had applied, as the court announced on Thursday evening.
If the implementation of the accommodation ban were now suspended, people from domestic risk areas could come to Schleswig-Holstein for tourism purposes without being controlled, the judges said in the reasoning. In Baden-Württemberg and Lower Saxony, administrative judges declared the ban to be illegal on Thursday.
The judges emphasized that in view of the nationwide rapid increase in infections, the state government was not obliged to wait until the situation in Schleswig-Holstein developed in a similar way as in the domestic risk areas.
When viewed as a whole, the interest of the general population in protection against the spread of the coronavirus outweighs the interests of the applying family in a tourist trip. Because it is up to them to “realize” the vacation on Sylt “promptly” through a negative corona test. The testing is financially reasonable, so the judges of the 3rd Senate.
For the first time over 7,000 new infections in Germany
According to the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the health authorities in Germany reported 7,334 new corona infections within one day on Friday morning. The day before, with 6,638 new cases, the highest value since the start of the pandemic in Germany was registered. Last week, the RKI reported 4,516 new infections on Friday.
However, the current values are only partially comparable with those from spring, because significantly more tests are now carried out – and thus more infections are discovered. What is certain, however, is that the number of infections will again increase exponentially.
There is also a clear increase in Covid 19 patients treated in intensive care. According to the RKI situation report, 655 people infected with corona were treated in intensive care on Thursday, 329 of whom were ventilated. A week earlier, the value was 487 (239 ventilated), the week before it was 362 (193 ventilated). Around 8,700 intensive care beds are currently still available in Germany.
According to the Robert Koch Institute, the number of deaths in connection with a corona infection is now 9,734. That was 24 more than the day before. The RKI estimates that there are around 287,600 recovered.
Police union against the transport of Castor
In view of the rising corona numbers, the union has asked the police to cancel the planned transport of Castor from the reprocessing plant in Sellafield, UK, to the Biblis interim storage facility in southern Hesse.
“If the police are now expected to enforce the corona requirements and health protection more strongly, then from our point of view it is not compatible that a nuclear transport should be accompanied by the police across Germany at the beginning of November,” said GdP- Vice Jörg Radek of the German Press Agency. “There is no compelling reason for that.” Police forces who would then be deployed to secure the Castor transport could not be parked at the same time to protect against infection, said the GdP deputy.
The transport of the six containers with highly radioactive waste from Sellafield, UK, was initially planned for spring. Due to the corona pandemic, it was postponed indefinitely in March. The Federal Ministry of the Interior did not consider the necessary police operation to be responsible. Opponents of nuclear power expect the transport to arrive at the port in Nordenham in Lower Saxony around the beginning of November.
Thousands of police officers from all over Germany were on duty during past Castor transports. Radek expects this to be the case again for the next transport. He demanded a rejection and stressed that health protection must have priority – after all, police officers are also threatened with infection.
Travel warnings for France and the Netherlands
On Thursday evening, the federal government declared many other regions abroad to be risk areas, including the entire French mainland and the entire Netherlands. Malta, northern Portugal, parts of Poland and Sweden and the Italian regions of Campania and Liguria are also affected, as the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) announced in Berlin on Thursday. The classification therefore comes into effect on Saturday night.
For the first time since spring, the French border region Grand Est with Alsace, Lorraine and the administrative district of Champagne-Ardenne is considered a risk area. In the Netherlands, the province of Zeeland was added, making the entire country a risk area. Other regions of Croatia, Switzerland, Great Britain and Ireland were also put on the list. In Sweden, the province around the capital Stockholm is now a risk area.
With Poland, Germany’s last neighboring country is now partly on the RKI’s list. The regions around the cities of Krakow and Gdansk are affected. Poland’s Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki announced new restrictions on the country on Thursday. He called on citizens to “stay at home” and work in the home office. In Poland, 8,099 new infections had been registered within the past 24 hours – more than ever before.