- Prevent stroke: Symptoms show up 10 years earlier
- Study brings Breakthrough in early detection
- They are most common symptoms of stroke in later life
- They are Warning signs shortly before the stroke
Strokes are one of the most common causes of death. They are also often the leading cause of disability and invalidity in adulthood. Estimates of rzteblatts According to the study, up to 270,000 people suffer a stroke in Germany every year. A Dutch study now gives hope. There it says that a stroke patient is already ten years before the event is recognizable. The experts published their results in Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.
Stroke study: subjects examined for almost 30 years – the researchers noticed
For almost 30 years, a team of researchers from the Erasmus MC University in Rotterdam examined 14,712 people. Between 1990 and 2016, the volunteers were repeatedly taken a series of mental and physical tests. Memory, fluency in speech and reaction times were analyzed. In addition, people should assess their personal skills in everyday matters such as washing, cooking, cleaning, and financial management.
You might also be interested in: Stroke Research: New Study Reveals Shocking Statistics
During the more than twenty-year study period, 1662 people suffered a stroke. The average age was 80 years. The analysis showed that those affected began to do significantly worse in the cognitive test in recent years than would have been usual for their age. This effect was already evident ten years before the onset of the stroke. Almost two to three years before the disease, there was also a negative trend in the way people did everyday things.
Stroke: who is particularly affected?
The study also makes a statement about the people who are particularly often affected by strokes. According to the report, there was a trend that women, people with a low level of education, and people with a gene linked to Alzheimer’s disease were most likely to be affected by stroke.
Amazon book tip: Stroke – back to life together
The consequences of the strokes continued to be a deterioration in cognitive abilities and increased restrictions in everyday activities.
“The accelerated decline in cognition and daily performance before a stroke suggests that people with a future stroke have an accumulation of damage within the brain years before the acute event,” said Dr. Alis Heshmatollah from Erasmus MC University reports in an interview with the Daily Mail.
Warning signs just before a stroke: These symptoms are dangerous
In the case of a stroke, a few minutes can mean the difference between life and death. If there is a life-threatening emergency, it must be recognized in good time. The symptoms of a stroke usually come on suddenly and without warning. The most common warning signs are:
- Visual impairment: Restriction of the field of vision, overlooked objects and people
- Language and understanding disorder: Choppy language, twisted syllables, babbling, comprehension problems
- Paralysis, numbness: Symptoms of paralysis on one side of the body, furry feeling, drooping corners of the mouth
- Vertigo with unsteady gait: Spinning vertigo, vertigo, those affected feel like they are in a merry-go-round
- Very severe headache: sudden severe headache, often with nausea or vomiting
A full and detailed list of all warning signs can be found here.
If you experience such symptoms alone or in combination, you should immediately call the emergency number 112! Stroke patients are treated in special wards – stroke units. There are stroke units in our region in Bamberg, Nuremberg, Erlangen, Forchheim Kulmbach, Bayreuth, Coburg, Lichtenfels, Wrzburg, Schweinfurt and Bad Neustadt / Saale. Further information, checklists and tests for the risk of stroke are available at, for example www.schlaganfall-hilfe.de or www.dsg-info.de.
* Note: In the editorial team we are always on the lookout for great offers and useful products for our readers – for things that inspire us and bargains that are too good to be ignored. The links provided in this article and marked with a shopping cart symbol or an asterisk are so-called affiliate links / advertising links. If you click on one of these links and shop over them, we receive a commission from the retailer. This does not change the price for you. Our editorial reporting is basically independent of the existence or the amount of a commission.