Updated on October 11, 2021, 1:33 p.m.
- The golden October takes a break – the cold takes over. In addition, there is abundant rain in some areas.
- The week started locally with frost. The snow line drops to 800 meters.
- The risk of accidents increases for drivers.
After a sunny weekend, the golden October in Germany is over for the time being. A cold front pushes between two highs and clears the way for changeable and very cool weather, said a spokesman for the German Weather Service (DWD) in Offenbach.
“The snow line drops temporarily to up to 800 meters,” added meteorologist Dominik Jung at the weather portal wetter.net. It is “high time” for drivers to switch from summer to winter tires. “From 1,000 to 1,500 meters there is even 10 to 20 centimeters of fresh snow. In the Alps, you definitely need winter equipment,” warned Jung.
On Monday there was already ground frost in Germany and in places less than eight degrees below zero, “but also air frost down to minus five degrees. In some places scratching the windows was the order of the day.”
Snow up to the low mountain range
According to the DWD, there will be more showers on Tuesday and longer rains on the edge of the Alps. Jung expects rain amounts of 20 to 30 millimeters per square meter. “Part of it falls as snow and therefore it will be white in the Alps from Tuesday to Wednesday.”
In the night of Wednesday there will be the first flakes in the highest elevations of the eastern low mountain range and in the Black Forest, according to the forecast of the DWD. This trend largely continued on Wednesday.
From Thursday, however, as Jung predicts, “it will be more beautiful again and the golden October will come back”.
The outlook for the coming week
- Tuesday: 11 to 16 degrees, lots of clouds, little sunshine and now and then rain
- Wednesday: 8 to 13 degrees, lots of clouds, some sun and precipitation, on the Alps from 800 meters as snow, otherwise mostly rain
- Thursday: 10 to 15 degrees, mix of sun and clouds, hardly any precipitation
- Friday: 12 to 17 degrees, mix of sun, clouds and short showers
- Saturday: 12 to 16 degrees, mostly dry, sunshine in places, but also thick cloud fields
- Sunday: 11 to 16 degrees, sometimes sun, sometimes clouds and mostly dry
(dpa / mgb / hau)