Roman Polanski is considering legal action against the French newspaper Le Parisien who posted an article on Friday about a rape he allegedly committed in 1975. The filmmaker declares through his lawyer that the case is so old that a thorough investigation is not possible, reports Variety Sunday.
"Polanski strongly denies the allegations," said Hervé Témime, the filmmaker's lawyer in a statement to the French news agency Agence-France Presse. "We are considering legal action against this publication."
"The allegation contains facts that are 45 years old," explains Témime. "This allegation has never been notified to Polanski, nor to any legal authority, except a letter to the California prosecutor two years ago. After such a long time, a thorough investigation is not possible."
According to a statement by the French actress Valentine Monnie, the director beat her, tore her clothes off of her, and then forced her into various sexual acts. "I was raped by Roman Polanski in 1975. I had no personal or professional connection with him and hardly knew him," the actress said in Friday. Le Parisien. In a statement to that newspaper, Polanski's lawyer had previously denied the allegations.
In 1978, Polanski fled the United States before he could be convicted of having sex with a thirteen-year-old girl, which he had admitted to justice. Because the 86-year-old director has a French and a Polish passport, he can since then live in France without the risk of being arrested and extradited.