I radishes they are a tasty ingredient for rich and healthy salads. Belonging to the plant family Cruciferae they are often confused with horseradish.
Their herbaceous plant is grown all year round in Europe and also grows wild in Asia and America. Known for their pungent flavor due to a substance called allyl isothiocyanate which causes burning in contact with the heat triggered by the mucous membranes with which it comes into contact.
Why radishes are good for you
In ancient times radishes were widely used in folk medicine to prepare ointments with an anti-inflammatory action and to soothe intestinal and urinary problems. They are rich in antioxidant substances and anticancer. They provide the body with valuable vitamins such as B-complex vitamins and vitamin C and minerals such as zinc, copper and iron.
Let’s find out the main ones together benefits radishes for the health of our body:
– antitumor action: they contain substances such as sulforaphane and sulforaphen which help the body detoxify from carcinogens with whom it comes into contact. In fact, accurate scientific studies have shown that they are effective in preventing breast and colon cancer;
– allies of the slimming diet: being composed for 95% of water they give an immediate sense of satiety and they bring very few calories that allow you to keep fit;
– anti-aging effect: rich in antioxidants that slow down the formation of free radicals and cellular aging. Thanks to them it is possible to keep the young skin and hydrated, for longer. Also useful for counteracting dry skin and the appearance of annoying rashes;
– antidiabetics: they contain a category of polyphenols which are similar to insulin. The latter help to inhibit the harmful effects of glucose in the blood for those suffering from diabetes. They are in fact ideal for naturally regulating the daily glucose intake;
– regularize intestinal activity: they stimulate digestion by helping to effectively produce gastric juices and bile avoiding reflux problems o intestinal bloating;
– fight water retention: they bring a large amount of water to the body which allows it to purify it of excess waste and toxins. They are valuable allies against the water retention. They also prevent the appearance of unsightly cellulite;
– natural antibiotic: rich in vitamin C and anti-inflammatory substances such as isothiocyanates. The latter are valuable in countering the attack of viruses and bacteria during seasonal changes. They effectively preventseasonal flu and colds.
Uses and contraindications
In the kitchen of these herbaceous plants, i bulbs. They can be eaten raw as an appetizer or ingredient of tasty salads. Also tasty as a side dish to fish and meat dishes. By providing few calories to the body, radishes are loved as a snack to break hunger. When consumed cooked they are presented in soups and broths. Their root can be used for the preparation of preserves and pickles, while the leaves can be eaten raw combined with other vegetables.
Excessive consumption of radishes can result stomach ache, irritation to the gastric and intestinal walls and flatulence phenomena. Their consumption is to be avoided if you suffer from kidney stones, colitis or acute gastritis.