Philadelphia Union vs Chicago Fire FC – Football Match Report – October 28, 2020

Kacper Przybylko and Cory Burke each scored one goal to pass the Chicago Fire host Philadelphia Union 2-1 on Wednesday.

The Union, which started the night tied for first place with Toronto FC in the Eastern Conference, improved to 13-3-5 (44 points). They’ve also gone 8-0 at home this season.

– MLS on ESPN +: Stream games and reruns live (US only)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)

Robert Beric scored the Fire’s only goal, his eighth in 10 games. Chicago fell to 5-9-6 (21 points).

The Fire remains the only team in the league without a win on the road.

The Fire controlled much of the possession in the first 15 minutes but had no real opportunity to score.

In the 19th minute, Philadelphia’s Alejandro Bedoya dribbled to the end and appeared to have a shot from close range. But Gaston Gimenez made a saving tackle to interrupt the game.

Beric fired a right-footed shot just off in the 22nd minute.

The Union took a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute when Przybylko scored from a penalty. The penalty was called two minutes earlier following a ball from Francisco Calvo in the box.

In the 36th minute, Calvo was sent off with a red card for a reckless tackle against Bedoya. The Fire played the rest of the game with 10 players.

Chicago still managed to tie the game in the 42nd minute when Beric led a shot into the goal.

Philadelphia’s Brenden Aaronson dribbled a pair of defensemen in the third minute of the stoppage time but his shot was blocked.

The first 15 minutes of the second half were rather hectic with multiple faults on both teams.

Philadelphia took a 2-1 lead in the 65th minute when Burke directed an Olivier Mbaizo cross into the goal past firefighter Bobby Shuttleworth (five saves).

In the 76th minute, the Fire nearly equalized when Beric directed a free kick barely wide of goal. On this play, Philadelphia goaltender Andre Blake (three saves) sought to strike his right hand against the post. Blake remained on the ground for several minutes but remained in the game until the 89th minute when he was replaced by Joe Bendik.

Bendik, who made his Union debut, survived eight minutes of stoppage time.