A moment of shock for a Canadian last week. She was almost hit by a meteorite and killed. Only luck prevented the catastrophe.
It happened to Ruth Hamilton on October 4th. While she was sleeping in bed, a glowing hot stone suddenly broke through the roof of her house and landed on the pillow just a few centimeters from her head.
“I thought someone broke into my room”
Hamilton shot out of bed with dust on his face. “I turned on the light, but could not find out what the hell had just happened,” she told the Canadian newspaper “Victoria News”. She was trembling all over and was scared. “I thought someone had broken into my room.
She immediately called the police, who initially suspected that the stone in her room might have come from a demolition at a nearby construction site. There, however, the construction workers said that they had only just seen a bright light in the sky that exploded with a bang. Only then did Hamilton realize that she had just survived a meteorite impact in her bedroom.
“Life can be over at any moment”
The cosmic near-death experience gave her a new perspective on life, as Hamilton says: “Life is precious and can be over at any moment, even if you think you are safe and secure in your bed.”
In fact, according to the report magazine “Geo”, only one person has so far been proven to have been hit by a meteorite – namely Ann Hodges in the US state of Alabama. In November 1954, a meteorite broke the roof of her house and left Hodges with a large bruise on her hips. Statistically speaking, it is 200 times more likely to win a 6 in the lottery than to be hit by a meteorite. (fr)