Man throws a cake at the Mona Lisa in the Louvre

Video: twitter/@lukeXC2002

30.05.2022, 03:4530.05.2022, 12:23

An unusual incident occurred at the Louvre in Paris over the weekend: a man threw a cake at Leonardo da Vinci’s world-famous Mona Lisa. This left visible traces. However, the painting itself was not damaged: For security reasons, the Mona Lisa is behind bulletproof glass.

According to media reports, the perpetrator is a young man. As the Italian “Corriere della Sera” reports, he is said to have come to the museum dressed as an old woman and in a wheelchair. He wore a hat and a wig.

Video: twitter/@lukeXC2002

According to the police, the aim was not to damage the work of art. Rather, it is said to have been a protest action. Video recordings show him saying, just before he has to leave the museum: “Think of the earth! It has people who are going to destroy the earth!” As a further action, the man is said to have scattered some roses on the floor.

Video: twitter/@elsalonrojo

Meanwhile, it is not the first time that the Mona Lisa has been attacked by a visitor. In 2009, a Russian woman threw a teacup at the painting, which broke the glass. In 1956, a Bolivian tourist threw a rock at the image after staring at it for hours. Since it was still behind a normal pane of glass at the time, it was partially damaged. Since then, the Mona Lisa has been protected with bulletproof glass. (dab)

Bet you can understand him even though you’ve never heard the language before

This might also interest you:

The curfews are being relaxed in Beijing and Shanghai, and everyday life is to return. But that will not mean an end to the tough zero-Covid policy.

This is what you call setting an example: On Monday, the Beijing newspaper Beijing Ribao reported that a 42-year-old citizen of the city should be in home quarantine because he had been identified as a corona contact person in a shopping center. The man continued to walk around the neighborhood. A few days later, he and his wife tested positive – after which the authorities took 258 residents of his home to a quarantine facility feared because of its cramped and often poor hygienic conditions. In addition, more than 5,000 residents of the neighborhood were sent into domestic isolation. The 42-year-old is now also in trouble with the police, writes Beijing Ribao.

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

On Key

Related Posts