If your home was affected by the yesterday’s earthquake of magnitude 7.1, the Institute of the National Housing Fund for Workers (Infonavit), offers the “Natural Disaster Damage Insurance”, which could be used to repair your home if it was damaged by this or some other natural phenomenon.

People who have a valid mortgage loan and have been affected by the earthquake or by the great floods in Hidalgo and the State of Mexico, for example, can access insurance.

Insurance protects against the following:

  • Hurricanes
  • Cyclones
  • Floods
  • Stormy winds
  • Fall of trees
  • Hail or snow
  • Fire
  • Earthquake
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Explosion
  • Objects dropped from airplanes
  • Terrain displacement

The agency recalled that only Applies to loans for home purchase, does not include Mejoravit or improvements, extensions or remodeling made after the credit was granted. In addition, in the case of credits financed by Infonavit and some banking institution, the insurance only applies to the amount that is contracted with the institute.

How to apply for insurance?

If multiple houses were affected, do the following:

  • Go to the offices of Infonavit in your locality or make your report on the website.
  • Bring your credit number, your name, address and contact information. The report will be made to schedule a visit by the representatives of the insurance company to calculate the cost of the damages.
  • The holder of the loan must initiate the process; only in exceptional cases may another person attend.

If nothing else has your house suffered damage, you must download the damage report form on the official site of the Infonavit for Beneficiaries, in section “I have a Credit“.

  • Include a copy of official identification, a sketch of the location of the affected property, photographs of the most representative damages, credit statement, telephone number and repair estimate estimated by the owner.
  • The original document of the record raised before the Public Ministry, Civil Protection or firefighters, and an annex with the report of the damage.

What does the insurance cover?

  • Total loss: when it is no longer possible to inhabit the home after the passage of hurricanes (category 3 or higher), earthquakes (5.5 degrees or higher) or tornadoes (category F2 or higher). In this scenario, the credit will be liquidated, and you must deliver a letter confirming that you were informed of the situation
  • Partial loss: when the damages are minor, the amount they will pay you to cover them will be determined. In this case, you will receive a payment order to collect at any HSBC bank branch. The loan holder may hire personnel for the repair, and Infonavit will supervise the work

In another case, depending on the amount, Infonavit could contract specialized companies to carry out the repairs. In some situations, furniture or decorative objects could enter the insurance, but it would be a matter of the institute’s determination.

  • If you have questions, you can call Infonatel at 800 008 3900, or visit the Infonavit Service Center (CESI), you can also know more details by giving click here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.