How to find an immigration detainee

One of the questions I constantly receive from my readers is how can you find a relative detained by immigration?

This week in my column on The opinion I again answer this question. I also reply to another reader who wants to know what he can do to get a tourist visa for his mother.

Remember, each case is different and the answers vary depending on each person’s immigration history and other factors. Here I respond in general to your questions. Please consult an attorney for personalized legal advice.

My brother was arrested for immigration and we don’t know about him. How can we find it? – José L.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service (ICE) has a locator on their website to find people in their custody. On this page, they can find the whereabouts of the detained person by entering the alien number (A-Number), or biographical information such as name, surname, country and date of birth.

The search engine is only to find adult people; does not work for under 18s. If you do not have internet access, you should call the ICE office closest to the area where the person was detained.

You can find a list of the offices by clicking here.

I am a permanent resident of the United States of Mexican origin. My mother lives in Nayarit, Mexico, and wishes to attend the wedding of my daughter who is getting married in August. She has already applied for a tourist visa several times at the United States Consulate in Guadalajara and has been denied. What can my mother do to obtain the visa? -Andrés M.

Your mother must reapply for a tourist visa and clearly demonstrate through documentation her intention to return to Mexico after her granddaughter’s wedding. She must demonstrate that she resides in Mexico and that she has labor, family or social ties that tie her to her place of origin. In addition, your mother must demonstrate that all travel expenses will be covered by her or by other people.

If necessary, offer to post a bond to guarantee your mother’s return to Mexico.

You too should become a citizen as soon as you are eligible. This would help you in several ways, including being able to bring your mother to the US on an immigrant visa.

Unfortunately, the process of becoming a citizen and applying to your mother takes time and probably won’t take place before your daughter’s wedding.