Time and again, the United States is shaken by shooting rampages with guns.
Uvalde / Washington (AP) – The massacre at an elementary school in the US state of Texas with at least 21 dead joins the list of rampages in the United States. A selection of recent cases:
- Buffalo (New York), May 2022: An 18-year-old white man shoots ten black people in a supermarket. After the fact, he surrenders. Investigators are assuming a racist hate crime.
- Oxford, Michigan, November 2021: A 15-year-old boy killed four classmates between the ages of 14 and 17 at his high school with a gun his father bought days earlier.
- Boulder, Colorado, March 2021: A 21-year-old man shot dead nine civilians and a police officer in a shopping complex with cafes and shops. The US citizen from Syria is arrested.
- Atlanta (Georgia), March 2021: In three different massage parlors, a 21-year-old white man killed eight people with his gun within a short time – mostly Asian women.
- Dayton, Ohio, August 2019: A 24-year-old man killed nine people, including his sister, in a bar with an assault rifle. The man is shot by the police.
- El Paso (Texas), August 2019: A 21-year-old white supremacist shot dead 22 people in a shopping mall. He surrenders to the police. Investigators are treating the bloody crime as domestic terrorism.
- Thousand Oaks (California), November 2018: A 28-year-old ex-soldier killed 13 people in a bar. He then shoots himself.
- Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania), October 2018: A right-wing extremist shoots eleven people in the “Tree of Life” synagogue. It is the most momentous anti-Semitic crime in US history.
- Santa Fe (Texas), May 2018: A 17-year-old kills ten people, including eight classmates, at his high school. He confesses the fact. He didn’t target those he liked.
- Parkland (Florida), February 2018: At his former school, a 19-year-old sets off the fire alarm and shoots at the fleeing people. 14 students and 3 adults die. The perpetrator is arrested. A student movement is formed for stricter US gun laws.
- Sutherland Springs, Texas, November 2017: A 26-year-old man opened fire in a church, killing 26 people before shooting himself.
- Las Vegas (Nevada), October 2017: A 64-year-old shoots at festival guests from the 32nd floor of a hotel. He kills 58 people. Hundreds more are injured. The perpetrator shoots himself.
- Orlando, Fla., June 2016: A 29-year-old man shot and killed 49 people at a gay nightclub. Special forces kill him. The assassin, a US citizen with Afghan parents, had previously claimed responsibility for the Islamic State terrorist militia.
- Newtown (Connecticut), December 2012: A 20-year-old boy first shot his mother. At his former elementary school, Sandy Hook Elementary School, he murdered 20 school children and six teachers. He then kills himself.
© dpa-infocom, dpa:220525-99-430137/3