A balanced diet is essential to maintaining good health. The World Health Organization notes this “Eating a healthy diet throughout life helps prevent malnutrition in all its forms, as well as various non-communicable diseases and disorders.”
To receive professional advice on the portions and foods you should consume, according to individual nutritional needs, it is advisable to consult a nutritionist to receive the correct information.
Among the foods, there are some that stand out because they have a high water content, which is good for health. Next, La Vanguardia highlights some of these:
This vegetable is known for being widely used in the preparation of salads and various dishes. It is a healthy food to include in the diet. “Lettuce is a very light vegetable that provides 17 kilocalories per 100 grams. The main component of lettuce is water (95%), which makes it ideal for summer, and it has a low energy content given its low amount of carbohydrates, proteins and fats”, explains Eva Campoy, from the Department of Dietetics of the Spanish Society of Superior Health Technicians (SETSS) to the Cuídate Plus web portal.
It is also known that cucumber is often used in the preparation of salads. This food has up to 96% water, according to La Vanguardia. Among its benefits, it stands out as being low in calories and rich in minerals, fibers and antioxidants.
This fruit is low in calories and stands out because it is rich in water. The portal specializes in health your health point out some of its benefits to human health. “It improves bowel function, prevents constipation and helps hydrate the body, making it a healthy option to cool off on hot days. The melon should be consumed at least 3 to 4 times a week and included in a healthy, balanced and varied diet.
This food is a source of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. According to La Vanguardia, it is recommended to eat it raw to preserve all its benefits.
This fruit has up to 895 water. Besides helping to hydrate the body, it is a source of beta-carotene, which helps maintain good eyesight, skin, hair and the immune system.
How to have a healthy diet?
Diversity, colors and variety in a diet are important. The World Health Organization explains the characteristics of a healthy diet:
- It should include fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and whole grains.
- Minimum five servings of fruit and vegetables per day; except potatoes and other starchy tubers.
- Total caloric intake from free sugars (those added to beverages such as honey, syrup, etc.) should be less than 10% for a healthy body weight individual consuming approximately 2,000 calories daily.
- Daily calorie intake from fat should be less than 30%. Unsaturated fats are healthier than saturated fats. According to the WHO, industrially produced trans fats should be avoided.
- Eat less than 5 grams of salt per day, which is equivalent to a small tablespoon.
Similarly, Medline Plus, the United States National Library of Medicine also adds some recommendations for a nutritious diet: