Let it be one year late, but Euro 2020 has started. The first match of the tournament, which took place in Rome, was played by the national teams of Italy and Turkey. And once again they raised the annoying question for everyone.
Sport24 – about the main points of the meeting that opened the tournament.
- Italy became one of the best national teams in qualifying for the European Championship – only Belgium turned out to be cooler according to statistics. The team of Mancini criticized in Russia during his management of Zenit by the start of the Euro did not lose 27 matches (since September 2018) and won the last 8 without conceding a single goal: and this is with a frankly age center of defense, which is formed by almost eternal Bonucci and Chiellini (70 years for two).
- But Italy built its amazing statistics on those opponents who were mostly much weaker. Maybe the Turkish national team made the last Euro out of the group in 2008, and also brought the youngest squad to the tournament, but in 2021 it did not lose either – and won, for example, the Dutch team in the selection for the World Cup-22. Not only Leicester’s Seyuncu and Demiral (Juventus) were in the start for Italy in Turkey, but also the restless Yilmaz, who, at the age of 35, dragged the French Lille to the championship in Ligue 1.
- Historically atypical for the Italian national team, a game with control and a high line of defense (such a team became after the appointment of Mancini) had to bring results even before the break. Italy interrupted the opponent (11: 0 in shots, hitting the target – 3: 0), and at the end of the first half did not let Turkey out of the penalty area for several minutes. Italy was unlucky in the final stage of the attack (this was seriously hampered by the opponent’s defensive block, which sank lower and lower towards the break), but not only with it.
- A few minutes before the end of the first half, the ball in Turkey’s penalty area hit the exposed hand of the flank defender Zeki Celik. The Italian national team protested, Leonid Slutsky was perplexed on the air, but the main referee Danny Makkeli did not appoint a penalty. Apparently, in this case, the new rules worked, which were introduced specifically for the European Championship and which, judging by the reactions in social networks, few people understand. Yes, and they were introduced primarily with regard to playing with a hand in attack.
- After the break, Turkey made the first attack in the entire match, but this did not change the course of the game very much. Italy continued to push the opponent into the goal and brought defender Demiral to the point that he sent the ball into his own goal. For the first time, the European Championship began with an own goal.
- After the missed Turkey fell – first, after Spinazzola’s shot, he played effectively on finishing off Immobile, and then Insigne took advantage of the mistake of the Turkish goalkeeper. Chakir simply presented the ball to the Italian national team – and that was the end of the game.
- The first game of Euro 2020 began with an overconfident victory for Italy (9th in a row in all tournaments). The national team that flew past the last World Cup returned in style, but one can hardly draw serious conclusions from this – there was no Turkey. Switzerland is ahead of Mancini’s team, and Turkey will try to rectify the situation in the game with Wales.
Download Sport24 app for Android
Download Sport24 app for iOS