A Civil Protection issued this Sunday a warning to the general population due to rain and wind forecast for the coming days, “especially on the central and southern coast”.
It should be remembered that the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA) placed the entire continental territory under yellow warning, as of Monday dawn, due to the forecast of thunderstorm and heavy rain.
According to the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and the Atmosphere (IPMA), “it is expected that heavy rainfall is locally strong, with significant impacts, particularly in urban areas, where there is a risk of rapid flooding, and on road traffic”.
In light of these forecasts, the Civil Protection emphasizes that “There may be floods and floods in urban areas, with emphasis on the metropolitan area of Lisbon and the city of Setúbal”.
“There is also the risk of rising water levels in the Algarve’s rivers and streams, which could cause flooding in urban and more impervious areas. Special attention is recommended to the possible combination of peaks of precipitation with the times forecast for high tide. “, also indicates the National Emergency and Civil Protection Authority (ANEPC) in a statement sent to the newsrooms.
The expected effects are, therefore, slippery road surface and possible formation of water tables, possibility of rapid flooding in urban areas, damage to mounted or suspended structures, possibility of falling branches or trees due to stronger wind, possible accidents in the coastline, among other incidents.
Given this scenario, the Civil Protection leaves a set of preventive measures that must be adopted:
- Ensure the unblocking of rainwater drainage systems and removal of inert materials and other objects that may be dragged or create obstacles to the free flow of water;
- Adopt a defensive driving, reducing speed and taking special care with the possible accumulation of snow and formation of water tables on the roads;
- Do not cross flooded areas, in order to prevent the dragging of people or vehicles into holes in the pavement or open sewer boxes;
- Ensure an adequate fixation of loose structures, namely scaffolding, placards and other suspended structures;
- Take special care when circulating and staying near wooded areas, being aware of the possibility of falling branches and trees due to stronger winds;
- Take special care when traveling along the coastline and historically more vulnerable riverside areas;
- Pay attention to meteorological information and indications from the Civil Protection and Security Forces.
For Monday, in particular, showers are expected, sometimes heavy, accompanied by thunder, especially on the west coast and Algarve, gradually extending to the other regions from the afternoon.
Sometimes strong wind is expected, especially in the highlands of the center and south, sometimes with gusts up to 80 kilometers per hour.
For Tuesday, the Meteorology forecast points to showers, sometimes heavy, accompanied by thunder, hail and gusts of strong wind.
Also Read: Thunderstorm and heavy rain periods from Monday
Always be the first to know.
Fifth consecutive year Consumer Choice for Online Press.
Download our free App.