The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees prepare to play in the Bronx on Friday, a day after the first game of the second half of the Major League season was postponed due to coronavirus cases within the team. of the Big Apple.
“It will be played today. That’s the plan,” a source in full credit told ESPN Digital on Friday morning.
On Thursday, it was revealed that three Yankees players – outfielder Aaron Judge, Colombian third baseman Gio Urshela and catcher Kyle Higashioka – were inactivated by the league’s COVID-19 protocols after testing positive on rapid tests, which caused the suspension of the first game of the series.
Left-handed relievers Jonathan Loaisiga, Néstor Cortés Jr. and Wandy Peralta were the first to test positive and were placed on the disabled list for COVID-19, said Brian Cashman, general manager of the Yankees.
Major League Baseball indicated that the postponement of the game at Yankee Stadium was to allow more testing and contact tracing.
New York was one of the first major league teams to reach the 85% vaccination threshold to reduce coronavirus protocols, such as cessation of mask use in dugouts and bullpens.
The New York players were on the field for batting practice about three and a half hours before the scheduled start of the game Thursday, when the Yankees asked the media to stand down while the team conducted COVID testing.
The Red Sox entered the field when the postponement to begin batting practice was announced.
This was just the eighth game postponed due to COVID-19 this year and the first since April 19 (Twins-Athletics). There were 51 postponements due to COVID-19 last year.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.