The dominican Welcome Rodriguez, 51 years old, extradited from the Dominican Republic to the United States where he was captured on October 4 for the murder of Puerto Rican basketball player Geovanny Malpica 25 years ago in Brooklyn, faces a 25-year life sentence, prosecutors said.

He was extradited to the US in October, and this week he was sentenced to life in prison in NY.

Rodríguez was instructed of the charges before Judge Vincent Del Giudice, in a formal accusation of murder in the second degree, criminal possession of a weapon and escape, and was left imprisoned without the right to bail.

The break in the 25-year unsolved case stemmed from a fact about Rodríguez’s whereabouts caused by a story on the Univision network dating back to 2018, according to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office.

Rodríguez, who was wanted by New York police detectives since he escaped to his native country where he was hiding after stabbing Malpica in the middle of an argument in front of a building on Dekalb Avenue in the aforementioned county in 1996.

The victim was 21 years old.

A version of the time maintains that between Rodríguez and Malpica there were differences because they were fighting over a woman.

The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, Eric González, said that a report by journalist Rolman Vergara on Univisión channel 41, helped locate the clues where the fugitive was hiding, although the NYPD received confidences in 1998 that he had escaped to the Republic. Dominican.

Prosecutors say that on the night of July 17, 1996, in the Bushwick, Brooklyn neighborhood, Malpica confronted Rodriguez, accusing him of approaching his girlfriend and hit him on the head with a large radio.

See also  Light snow would touch New York this Sunday and Monday, the first of the season

Rodríguez counterattacked using a knife with which he stabbed the Puerto Rican several times in the chest and back.

Malpica was transported by paramedics to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The night of the murder, Rodríguez went to the hospital to be treated for a head injury, lying to doctors when he told them he hit himself falling off a bicycle, prosecutors said.

After leaving the hospital, he fled to the Dominican Republic.

One of the information given to the police said that Rodríguez was in Chile, where in 2018 an NYPD detective and a Brooklyn deputy prosecutor traveled, who spoke with him, but the Dominican denied that he knew the victim.

Rodríguez was deported to the Dominican Republic from Chile in September 2019.

He is due to return to court on December 17, 2021. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

“The charges in this case show that, in Brooklyn, justice will not be denied, even when it is delayed,” Prosecutor Gonzalez said in a statement.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said the decades-old case highlights the core value of the NYPD in never forgetting and never giving up on crime victims and those in need of justice.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.